Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore

Gitanjali (1910)

by Rabindranath Tagore

Other authors: W. B. Yeats (Introduction)

From the beginning of the book, Tagore's tender words starts to grow in your mind while it embraces your heart. Gitanjali is a collection of poems that makes your heart beat faster, but in a pleasant unthreatening way.
Maybe because of Persian language's mystical nature and its similarities to Sanskrit based languages some of the poems made more sense to me when I read its translation to Persian.
This quality is what makes the understanding of eastern literature and poetry hard or vague in some ways for the western language speakers. That might be the reason that the first translation of this poems to English got done by the poet himself.
  GazelleS | May 11, 2016 |
Veo que mi opinion es minoritaria pero esta lectura ha sido una gran decepcion.
Me gustan poemas cuando me hacen pensar de formas que nunca hubiera imaginado, cuando leo metaforas increibles, cuando tengo que pararme y pensar e imaginar.
No he encontrado apenas nada de esto en esta coleccion, la mayoria de los poemas parece que trataban sobre venerar a dios o esperar la muerte o adorar el mundo alrededor. Y la verdad despues de leer unos cuantos poemas diciendo exactamente lo mismo acabo bastante cansado de estos temas. ( )
  trusmis | Apr 30, 2016 |
It’s a little surprising that this is the work which captivated W.B. Yeats and led to the Nobel Prize in literature for Tagore. Many of the elements that make him great are present – his humility, reverence for the poor, and the feelings of reverie in life – but he is less poetic and more one-dimensional than in other works. This particular edition was not well edited either, containing a few typos. I would recommend “Selected Poems” or his prose work “The Home and the World” over “Gitanjali”.

This was my favorite piece, poem #29 of the 103:

“He whom I enclose with my name is weeping in this dungeon. I am ever busy building this wall all around; and as this wall goes up into the sky day by day I lose sight of my true being in its dark shadow.

I take pride in this great wall, and I plaster it with dust and sand lest a least hole should be left in this name; and for all the care I take I lose sight of my true being.” ( )
1 vote gbill | Oct 11, 2014 |
Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
Where the words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is lead forward by thee into ever widening thought and action -
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake. ( )
  aeromaxtran | Sep 17, 2014 |
"Thou hast made me endless, such is thy pleasure." Thus begins this small but rich collection of poems by the Nobel Prize-winning poet Rabindranath Tagore. He sings of the ages that are the gift of the gods. He explores the abundance of human experience from birth to death and beyond. Eros has its place as well in the poems that explore the humanity of young and old. All the while the beauty of nature does not escape his attention. The author's own translation into English from the original Bengali does not lose the musical quality that must exist in the original language. One may open to almost any page to experience beautiful poetry like these line from Poem 59:
"The morning light has flooded my eyes---this is thy message to my heart. Thy face is bent from above, thy eyes look down on my eyes, and my heart has touched thy feet."(p 77)
With an introduction by W. B. Yeats from the original 1913 edition this is a great introduction to a protean writer. His poetry and prose compares with Goethe or Dante in its impact on both his home of India and the world. ( )
  jwhenderson | Jun 3, 2013 |

Tagore, Rabindranathprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yeats, W. B.Introductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To William Rothenstein
Thou hast made me endless, such is they pleasure.

An illuminating collection of inspirational poems by a Nobel Laureate

While traveling through one of the poorest regions in India, W. B. Yeats was amazed to discover the women in the tea fields singing the songs and poems of Rabindranath Tagore. This striking scene led the great Irish poet to appreciate the depth of India's far-reaching tradition of poetry and the fame of this one Indian poet. Tagore's work is without equal and plays an eminent role in twentieth century Indian literature.

The publication of the English edition of Gitanjali in 1911 earned Rabindranath Tagore the Nobel Prize in literature. A collection of over one hundred inspirational poems, Gitanjali covers the breadth of life's experiences, from the quiet pleasure of observing children at play to a man's struggle with his god. These are poems that transcend time and place.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:52 -0400)

47 wanted5 free
1 free

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,811,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible