The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever…

The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (edition 2007)

by Julia Quinn

Member:Jagular2k
Title:The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever
Authors:Julia Quinn
Info:Avon (2007), Edition: 1st Avon Bks Ppbk Print July 2007, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn

The prologue of The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever introduces us to an adorable ten-year-old girl who still has to grow into herself. That was what Viscount Turner, then 19, told her when he escorted her home. That and to start writing a journal. Their conversation on their way to her house is lovely. You'll fall in love with her character right away.
So, she listened and asked for a journal from her absent-minded scholar father and wrote: 2 March 1810 . . . Today, I fell in love. Adorable.

Fast forward ten years or so and she is still best friend with Turner's sister Olivia. He is not a wonderful young man any more, though. His wife just died on her way to see a lover (yes, a lover). Miranda still loves him. That's the meat of the story. What comes next follows a pattern from most romances - one of the characters has to get their head out their ... you get my meaning. I got almost to the end thinking Turner's was stuck.

In comparison to the Bridgertons, this family is a bit smaller (three siblings) and they aren't really as connected. I liked both Miranda and Olivia and their friendship. I liked the way they acted with each other.

Every now and then I run into a review of mine where I hint at stuff and I have no idea what is it that made me like or dislike a book, its characters, the plot and so on. So, I'll just put the thing that completely messed up my reading experience in this one.

It may sound as nothing to some, but I loathe when a character is with someone else in a book after there was something between the main characters and the author didn't set the it up so you aren't unpleasantly* surprised. Turner kisses another woman and Miranda sees it.
This works in some books and some authors do it really well. But, in a historical romance like this one that's just plain wrong.

*the unpleasant part may stay with you in such a story, but at least you knew the rules of the world beforehand

Overall, a lovely story that took its sweet time to get its main character accept what is going on. I did like most of it. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
The Secret Diaries of Miss Amanda Cheever
4 Stars

Betrayed by his deceased wife, Nigel Bevelstoke, Lord Turner, vows never to marry again and certainly has no interest in his younger sister’s best friend, Miranda Cheever, who has loved him since childhood. Fate, it would seem, has different ideas, and Turner and Miranda find themselves thrown together and forced to wed, but can Turner get past the hurt of his first marriage and learn to love again?

I’ve been working my way through Quinn’s backlist and on the whole have been unimpressed by her earlier. The Secret Diaries of Miss Amanda Cheever is one of her more recent books, and the style is reminiscent of the absolutely amazing Bridgertons series, particularly Romancing Mister Bridgerton.

Miranda’s unrequited love for Turner calls to mind Penelope’s relationship with Colin, and it is impossible not to lover her sweet nature and independent spirit. Turner doesn’t quite reach the heights of perfection that Colin does, but he is, nevertheless, an appealing hero. While he is somewhat of an emotional cripple, who needs to be slapped upside the head for some of his actions, he does manage to redeem himself by the end.

All in all, a cute and charming read and it should be fun reading Olivia’s story.
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This book was an interesting mix of things. Fun to read. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
4 years ago: I loved the story a lot, in so many ways, Miranda is so much like a lot of girls in so many ways, and the way she crushes over her best friend older brother is just so typical and sweet!! Though I hated Nigel for not loving her so much or noticing her as she did!!
❀Reading it again now: I know a lot of people may hate me for saying this but I don't find Turner attractive, I prefer Winston much better, at least he truly likes Miranda. I hated the part in the bookshop, the seller was a jerk and Turner was...ugh mean! As for the part in the lodge I didn't think of it as love making. Turner was in it for sex, Miranda gave him everything, and when he left for more than 6 weeks 'to think' I hated him even more. I believe this book is my least favorite Julia Quinn. The 2nd book which follows Olivia's story is much better. He threw a scone at her for not receiving him when HE was so late to come! He can't wait but she must! But all in all, the book is good, and my favorite part is the ending :) ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
3.25 ( )
  Joana_v_v | Feb 9, 2016 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sterlin, JennyReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061230839, Mass Market Paperback)

2 March 1810 . . . Today, I fell in love.

At the age of ten, Miranda Cheever showed no signs of Great Beauty. And even at ten, Miranda learned to accept the expectations society held for her—until the afternoon when Nigel Bevelstoke, the handsome and dashing Viscount Turner, solemnly kissed her hand and promised her that one day she would grow into herself, that one day she would be as beautiful as she already was smart. And even at ten, Miranda knew she would love him forever.

But the years that followed were as cruel to Turner as they were kind to Miranda. She is as intriguing as the viscount boldly predicted on that memorable day—while he is a lonely, bitter man, crushed by a devastating loss. But Miranda has never forgotten the truth she set down on paper all those years earlier—and she will not allow the love that is her destiny to slip lightly through her fingers . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:22 -0400)

At the age of ten, Miranda Cheever showed no signs of Great Beauty. And even at ten, Miranda learned to accept the expectations society held for her - until the afternoon when Nigel Bevelstoke, the handsome and dashing Viscount Turner, solemnly kissed her hand and promised her that one day she would grow into herself, that one day she would be as beautiful as she already was smart. And even at ten, Miranda knew she would love him forever.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,885,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible