The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever…

The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (edition 2007)

by Julia Quinn

Member:Jagular2k
Title:The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever
Authors:Julia Quinn
Info:Avon (2007), Edition: 1st Avon Bks Ppbk Print July 2007, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn

The Secret Diaries of Miss Amanda Cheever
4 Stars

Betrayed by his deceased wife, Nigel Bevelstoke, Lord Turner, vows never to marry again and certainly has no interest in his younger sister’s best friend, Miranda Cheever, who has loved him since childhood. Fate, it would seem, has different ideas, and Turner and Miranda find themselves thrown together and forced to wed, but can Turner get past the hurt of his first marriage and learn to love again?

I’ve been working my way through Quinn’s backlist and on the whole have been unimpressed by her earlier. The Secret Diaries of Miss Amanda Cheever is one of her more recent books, and the style is reminiscent of the absolutely amazing Bridgertons series, particularly Romancing Mister Bridgerton.

Miranda’s unrequited love for Turner calls to mind Penelope’s relationship with Colin, and it is impossible not to lover her sweet nature and independent spirit. Turner doesn’t quite reach the heights of perfection that Colin does, but he is, nevertheless, an appealing hero. While he is somewhat of an emotional cripple, who needs to be slapped upside the head for some of his actions, he does manage to redeem himself by the end.

All in all, a cute and charming read and it should be fun reading Olivia’s story. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 27, 2014 |
A very satisfying, funny and well-written romance novel. Just the ticket for my current mood! ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
Not my favorite Julia Quinn but even a bad JQ is full of witty dialogue and fun characters. I loved Miranda and loved seeing Olivia (I read her book first) but I didn't love Turner. Yes, he had reason to be broody but it got to be too much for me. He needed Cher to slap him and yell "snap out of it!". So while I liked this one OK I won't clutch it to my heart and squee like I do with other Quinn books. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book until all of a sudden the characters stopped making any sense. After being deserted by Turner, why does Miranda inexplicably capitulate when Turner proposes in Scotland? Why was Miranda so blase about the miscarriage? There are other questions, but I'm too lazy to write much of a review.

The first half or so was quite delightful. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061230839, Mass Market Paperback)

2 March 1810 . . . Today, I fell in love.

At the age of ten, Miranda Cheever showed no signs of Great Beauty. And even at ten, Miranda learned to accept the expectations society held for her—until the afternoon when Nigel Bevelstoke, the handsome and dashing Viscount Turner, solemnly kissed her hand and promised her that one day she would grow into herself, that one day she would be as beautiful as she already was smart. And even at ten, Miranda knew she would love him forever.

But the years that followed were as cruel to Turner as they were kind to Miranda. She is as intriguing as the viscount boldly predicted on that memorable day—while he is a lonely, bitter man, crushed by a devastating loss. But Miranda has never forgotten the truth she set down on paper all those years earlier—and she will not allow the love that is her destiny to slip lightly through her fingers . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:17 -0400)

At the age of ten, Miranda Cheever showed no signs of Great Beauty. And even at ten, Miranda learned to accept the expectations society held for her - until the afternoon when Nigel Bevelstoke, the handsome and dashing Viscount Turner, solemnly kissed her hand and promised her that one day she would grow into herself, that one day she would be as beautiful as she already was smart. And even at ten, Miranda knew she would love him forever.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible