The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever…

The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (edition 2007)

by Julia Quinn

Member:Jagular2k
Title:The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever
Authors:Julia Quinn
Info:Avon (2007), Edition: 1st Avon Bks Ppbk Print July 2007, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn

The Secret Diaries of Miss Amanda Cheever
4 Stars

Betrayed by his deceased wife, Nigel Bevelstoke, Lord Turner, vows never to marry again and certainly has no interest in his younger sister’s best friend, Miranda Cheever, who has loved him since childhood. Fate, it would seem, has different ideas, and Turner and Miranda find themselves thrown together and forced to wed, but can Turner get past the hurt of his first marriage and learn to love again?

I’ve been working my way through Quinn’s backlist and on the whole have been unimpressed by her earlier. The Secret Diaries of Miss Amanda Cheever is one of her more recent books, and the style is reminiscent of the absolutely amazing Bridgertons series, particularly Romancing Mister Bridgerton.

Miranda’s unrequited love for Turner calls to mind Penelope’s relationship with Colin, and it is impossible not to lover her sweet nature and independent spirit. Turner doesn’t quite reach the heights of perfection that Colin does, but he is, nevertheless, an appealing hero. While he is somewhat of an emotional cripple, who needs to be slapped upside the head for some of his actions, he does manage to redeem himself by the end.

All in all, a cute and charming read and it should be fun reading Olivia’s story.
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
This book was an interesting mix of things. Fun to read. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
4 years ago: I loved the story a lot, in so many ways, Miranda is so much like a lot of girls in so many ways, and the way she crushes over her best friend older brother is just so typical and sweet!! Though I hated Nigel for not loving her so much or noticing her as she did!!
❀Reading it again now: I know a lot of people may hate me for saying this but I don't find Turner attractive, I prefer Winston much better, at least he truly likes Miranda. I hated the part in the bookshop, the seller was a jerk and Turner was...ugh mean! As for the part in the lodge I didn't think of it as love making. Turner was in it for sex, Miranda gave him everything, and when he left for more than 6 weeks 'to think' I hated him even more. I believe this book is my least favorite Julia Quinn. The 2nd book which follows Olivia's story is much better. He threw a scone at her for not receiving him when HE was so late to come! He can't wait but she must! But all in all, the book is good, and my favorite part is the ending :) ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
3.25 ( )
  Joana_v_v | Feb 9, 2016 |
i liked it up until the end when Miranda is all put out because Turner hasn't said "i love you, Miranda" Even allowing for the pregnancy hormones, they haven't been married a year yet and he obviously cares for her. the about face is just too much. she went from daydreaming and fantasizing that he would he just see her as a potential wife to ready to cut him out of her bed and give him the cold shoulder because he didn't actually SAY the words. just not believable that she would be that petty. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 17, 2016 |

Julia Quinnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061230839, Mass Market Paperback)

2 March 1810 . . . Today, I fell in love.

At the age of ten, Miranda Cheever showed no signs of Great Beauty. And even at ten, Miranda learned to accept the expectations society held for her—until the afternoon when Nigel Bevelstoke, the handsome and dashing Viscount Turner, solemnly kissed her hand and promised her that one day she would grow into herself, that one day she would be as beautiful as she already was smart. And even at ten, Miranda knew she would love him forever.

But the years that followed were as cruel to Turner as they were kind to Miranda. She is as intriguing as the viscount boldly predicted on that memorable day—while he is a lonely, bitter man, crushed by a devastating loss. But Miranda has never forgotten the truth she set down on paper all those years earlier—and she will not allow the love that is her destiny to slip lightly through her fingers . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:22 -0400)

At the age of ten, Miranda Cheever showed no signs of Great Beauty. And even at ten, Miranda learned to accept the expectations society held for her - until the afternoon when Nigel Bevelstoke, the handsome and dashing Viscount Turner, solemnly kissed her hand and promised her that one day she would grow into herself, that one day she would be as beautiful as she already was smart. And even at ten, Miranda knew she would love him forever.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,632,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible