Flashfall by Jenny Moyer

Flashfall

by Jenny Moyer

This is a post-apocalyptic science fiction story taking place after some sort of cosmic disaster. Orion is a Subpar. She and the rest of the Subpars are marginally more resistant to the radioactive particles put out by the flash curtain that surround the area where she lives. She and her fellow subpars are expected to mine dangerous tunnels to find cirium which is the only element that can shield humanity from the radiation. The job is very dangerous but there is hope. Any miner who mines 400 grams of cirium gets a free pass into the protected city.

Getting her 400 grams and enough cirium to save her father and her partner Dram is Orion's only goal. She has an added advantage in that she can detect where cirium deposits are. It is an advantage that only some Subpars have. But those who control the outposts don't want their miners to earn their way out. What Orion believes to be true about her work and her society is not true.

After another disaster, new people are brought in to the outpost and, through them, Orion learns more about how her world is governed. She runs afoul of the governors of her outpost and is sent to another along with her partner Dram and some others. They go through a variety of horrible situations and Orion's goal changes to a search for freedom and survival. Along the way she meets various revolutionaries who hone her thinking and refine her goals.

This is a story of a young woman learning about her world and trying to find herself a place in it. If that means she has to start a revolution, she is more than okay with that. I liked Orion's loyalty to her father. I liked her growing and changing relationship with her partner Dram. I liked Orion's determination to find a better life for herself and her fellow Subpars.

This was an entertaining story with well-drawn characters. I liked that it was filled with revelations. I only wish that I would have gotten a glimpse of life for those in the protected areas so that I could get a more well-rounded picture of the world. ( )
  kmartin802 | Oct 26, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible