Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia…

Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath

by Stephanie Hemphill

At first I found the footnotes distracting but they ended up being a useful addenda and clarification for the poems. I am not a Plath fan but the book intrigued me enough to want to learn more about her life and personality. An absorbing read for Plath fans and motivated readers who are not too familiar with her. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Would have preferred a biography in prose but a creative approach in illuminating Plath's life. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
This is a book of poetry inspired by the life of Sylvia Plath. I was a little surprised to find it on audiobook until I got the hang of listening to it. The poems are told from the perspective of people who knew Sylvia; mother, siblings, boyfriends, doctors, friends and acquaintances. For each poem there is a brief introduction regarding who is speaking and then the poem. Afterwards the author reads any foot notes regarding the time of Sylvia's life or the person speaking. I actually found this a little confusing. That information comes across as though it should be part of the introductory info and I kept getting confused about who and sometimes what the next poem was going to be about.

It was definitely an interesting way to tell the story of Sylvia's life. I found the poems telling the story from someone's point of view more interesting then the poems that were just written "in the style of" specific poems by Sylvia. Sometimes the "in the style" poems felt jarring b/c they weren't entirely contributing to the ongoing narrative. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037583799X, Hardcover)

On a bleak February day in 1963 a young American poet died by her own hand, and passed into a myth that has since imprinted itself on the hearts and minds of millions. She was and is Sylvia Plath and Your Own, Sylvia is a portrait of her life, told in poems.

With photos and an extensive list of facts and sources to round out the reading experience, Your Own, Sylvia is a great curriculum companion to Plath's The Bell Jar and Ariel, a welcoming introduction for newcomers, and an unflinching valentine for the devoted.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:09 -0400)

The author interprets the people, events, influences and art that made up the brief life of Sylvia Plath.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,192,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible