Children of the Dust by Clancy Carlile

Children of the Dust

by Clancy Carlile

I did not want this book to end! I could not wait to read another of Carlile's books after reading Honkytonk Man & though I consider Honkytonk Man to be one of my favorite books I believe this may be even better!

I found it to be very well written with interesting & intriguing characters. I did not want to put this book down & could not wait to get to the next page to see what happened next. Taking place in Oklahoma during the Land Rush it was very interesting to read a little of the history behind that along with the intriguing storyline. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in history or just likes a good western type story!

I definitely look forward to reading more of Clancy Carlile's books! ( )
  MyBookBarn | Apr 3, 2010 |

"ABSORBING...[A] FAST-MOVING PIECE OF FICTION."

--South Bend Tribune

On the day before his wedding, Gypsy Smith, a mixed-blood black-Cherokee gunfighter and lawman, is brutally attacked by the Ku Klux Klan, mutilated, and left for dead. Now he's out for blood.

Schoolteacher John Maxwell believes that Indians must disavow their heritage and conform to the ways of the white man in order to survive. Then his daughter, Rachel, falls in love with Corby, a Cheyenne boy--forcing Maxwell to confront his convictions in the shadow of their doomed passion.

Set during the Oklahoma land rush of the 1880s-- "the damnedest race in history"--CHILDREN OF THE DUST tells the interlocking stories of dispossessed Indians and newly freed blacks as never before. Bold, grand, and timelessly entertaining, this is a novel about an American past that we rarely explore and dare not forget.

"Gypsy Smith is the archetypal Clint Eastwood hero, except that his heritage is black and Cherokee....[Carlile] leads us down the unfamiliar back roads of his territory."

--The New York Times Book Review

"An authentic and historically accurate depiction of what was perhaps the most tumultuous and colorful period and place in the history of the Western frontier."

--Black Media News

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:23 -0400)

A cowboy of mixed Indian and black blood is the hero of this tale of discrimination and fight for justice, now a TV series. The setting is the 1880s land rush in Oklahoma. By the author of Honkeytonk Man.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,939,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible