Bake Sale Murder by Leslie Meier

Bake Sale Murder

by Leslie Meier

reread--still as good. ( )
  lhaines56 | Jun 18, 2016 |
not a bad book--too much in-fighting amongst the women neighbors though. ( )
  lhaines56 | Mar 1, 2015 |
Although I'm rating this book 2/5, I can't understand the low ratings, even if I'm contributing to its low average. I'm used to my harsh rating system, which is ironic, as I'm easily pleased during the actual act of reading a book. It's just that books need to achieve something to earn 4 or 5 stars. As for this book, the story was running along familiar lines, which is unavoidable in a series of 20 books.

The clearly wrong arrest of a murder suspect, the paucity of progress in Lucy Stone's investigation. The murderer revealing herself due to rising panic, acquired from watching Lucy ask about. The case was neatly tied up by showing the article of the Pennysaver, but a couple of things went unsolved, or at least unmentioned. It looks like my rating does not tally with my reading experience, but it all boils down to how the writer fills in the bits of the book that are meant to be filler.

I didn't get a sense of familial dynamics that were the hallmark of earlier books in the series. The thing with this book is that, for me, both good and bad aspects are present in few times. The book being short is not a problem. I always take it as a sign of dishonesty when a writer who churns out 250 paged books suddenly spikes her output with 400 plus paged ones. Here I know what I'm getting into. So this one is good but not good enough. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jul 10, 2014 |
Bake Sale Murder was the first full length book that I have read by Meier having only read a novella before, and I found that I really enjoyed it. Despite being further along in the series, I found that I was able to pick up quickly the main characters and follow things pretty well. This book can be enjoyed as a standalone or as part of the series. I really enjoyed the world that Meier created with her small neighborhood and local group of ladies and neighbors that were center stage in the book. I also liked how Meier tied together the two mysteries (who was the murderer and who was sending the anonymous letters to the Pennysaver). Lucy was very well developed and it made sense as to why she was drawn into solving both mysteries. Overall Bake Sale Murder was a great read that I really enjoyed, and I would definitely recommend it and this series to any cozy mystery fan. I am looking forward to reading more books in this series. ( )
  Sable677 | Dec 17, 2013 |
Lucy Stone has some new neighbors now that a new subdivision has gone in across from her home. As Lucy and some of her friends are trying to organize a bake sale to assist underprivileged children with school supplies, they realize the need to get younger people involved. They invite some of Lucy's new neighbors who radically change the way the bake sale is run. On the day of the event, one of the women fails to show up to cover her shift. When Lucy goes to check on her, she finds her body instead. A homeless man who has been hanging around shows up at the funeral. Is there a connection between them? Before Lucy can fully investigate, he disappears. Did I mention that Tinker's Cove has a new football coach? and that they are actually winning football games? Oh, but, there are also rumors of hazing. It's a fun, quick read that probably shows why amateurs should leave sleuthing to official investigators, but then we wouldn't have the thrill of seeing all the situations into which Lucy gets herself. ( )
  thornton37814 | Mar 11, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0758207026, Mass Market Paperback)

Ever since local developer Fred Stanton and his wife, Mimi, built five modular homes next door to Lucy Stone's farmhouse, life just hasn't been the same. With Mimi complaining about everything from the state of Lucy's lawn to another neighbor's lovable dog, quaint Tinker's Cove, Maine, is now entangled in cul-de-sac politics and backstabbing. And when Mimi doesn't show up for her shift at The Hat and Mitten Fund bake sale, the scent of burnt sugar leads Lucy to a shocking discovery: Mimi, face down on her kitchen floor--with a knife in her back.

While the police start their investigation, Lucy gets busy writing up the murder for the local Pennysaver--and following a few leads of her own. Lucy knows the women in her neighborhood didn't like Mimi, but they certainly didn't want her dead...right?

"I like Lucy Stone a lot, and so will readers." --Carolyn Hart

"Leslie Meier writes with sparkle and warmth." --Chicago Sun Times

"Mothers everywhere will identify with Lucy Stone and the domestic problems she encounters." --Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:20 -0400)

Lucy Stone, the Tinker's Cove, Maine newspaper reporter has a whole subdivision of peculiar neighbors around her once peaceful farmhouse, and anonymous letters are arriving at her office. The unknown penman alleges that the new football coach, Buck Burkhart, is condoning unsavory behavior by the high school's senior football players toward the junior players and the cheerleaders, one of whom is Lucy's daughter, Sara. But no one is talking or listening, as the coach launches his lackluster team into a victorious season. Then Lucy finds Burkhart's neighbor, one of her volunteer bakers, knifed to death in her kitchen.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,597,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible