Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Wintersong: A Novel by S. Jae-Jones

Wintersong: A Novel

by S. Jae-Jones

Series: Wintersong (1)

A tale which composes a different symphony from Labyrinth, Goblin Market, every Mary Sue fantasy ever, with a touch of Rumpelstiltskin and other tales we've known in many re-workings. Music is the challenge and desire and form of expression employed to name the desires. As to pacing, it doesn't flow smoothly because each section uses the short form of the fairy tale, so as one section ends we are dropped into the next. It's better than I've described it, but not as good as it aims to be. ( )
  quondame | Feb 14, 2019 |
*Potential Spoiler Alert*

Wintersong is definitely my joint-favourite book of the year, alongside Heartless, by Marissa Meyer.
What is Wintersong About?

Wintersong is a tale of loss and love, of not belonging, and being overlooked as an individual. It is a story of human folly, hidden talent, power, sacrifice, and risk.

wintersong,book blog,reading,5 star read,blogger,blogging,fiction,fantasy,magic
Introducing Liesl, the Invisible Middle Child

Liesl, the seemingly least favourite child of three, embarks on a life-altering journey, seeking to spare the people she loves from unimaginable pain and suffering. But in doing so, Liesl is the one that ultimately suffers.
Once I’d read the first few pages, I noticed a definite rise in tension.

‘The day the old year dies- the barrier between worlds was thin- The Goblin King is searching for his bride.’

This small snippet sent goosebumps racing across my flesh, the implied danger of the Goblin King’s motives all too clear. This dangerous feeling was enhanced when we are told that neither Liesl, nor her sister Kathe ever ‘heeded Grandmother’s warnings about the Goblin King.’

This willful ignorance foreshadows the danger that arrives later on in the story. Liesl doesn’t consider herself beautiful or talented enough to ever cross the Goblin King’s mind and so doesn’t take the necessary precautions to protect herself.

A Twisty-Turny Plot to Die For

Twists and turns continued to arise throughout the book, surprising me time and time again, just when I thought the plot had become predictable. I was kept on my toes, unable to believe some of the things I was reading.

I adored the unique cast of characters, especially Liesl and the Goblin King, as I was able to connect to them on a much deeper level than most of my favourite fictional pals. Liesl goes through so much and must sacrifice all she has while putting her trust in someone who is both part friend and part stranger.

To me, that’s incredibly brave.
With this in mind, Liesl soon realises that she is out of her depth-

‘I did not know the Goblin King, not as a man, not as someone with flesh and hands and hips. My soul thrilled with recognition at the sight of his face, but the reality of him frightened me. He was an old friend in myth and legend; he was a stranger in breath and body.’

Clearly, Liesl begins to have second thoughts about the commitment she makes, as any of us might. These doubts continue to follow her throughout the book.

On Reaching the Mid-Point

Once I reached the mid-point of the novel, I’ll be honest- I found it rather slow-going and at first, began to lose interest.

s jae jones,wintersong,fantasy,magic,fiction,ya,teen,goblins
But, I persevered, and I’m so glad I did because that’s when I felt privileged enough to glimpse a different side of Der Erlkonig (The Goblin King.)

It is a much more sensitive side- a side that longs to return to the land of the living. It is a side that truly shows what it means not to judge a book by its cover, for the Goblin King is far different inside than most might believe.

More Reasons to Keep Reading

Despite how much I adored his character, the Goblin King wasn’t the only reason I was glad I kept reading. I also got to watch little Liesl transform into the brave and incredible Elisabeth.

‘I had been Liesl- I had emerged the other side of our tryst, a different woman. Elisabeth. I tested the edges of this new identity, slipping it on, seeing how it fit.’

I could relate so much to this one simple quote, to the idea of going through intense experience-based changes of the mind that bring you to a new and often greater version of your true self.
Overall Thoughts

This was a thrilling read and I would definitely recommend that you check it out.
Rated 5 stars.

I’d like to leave you with one final quote-

‘This was the immortality humans were meant to have: to be remembered by those who loved us long after our bodies had crumbled into dust.’ ( )
  Daxmunro | Dec 31, 2018 |
This book was beautiful and well written. A bit haunting as well. It's not your average retelling. The pacing was too slow for me. I struggled a lot with this book and with the characters. But the writing style is still beautiful and very lyrical. I liked how well the music was incorporated into the storyline and it's structure. ( )
  oranges2ubof | Nov 29, 2018 |
It's a wonderful book. I really enjoyed my time reading it. I'm not actually overly familiar with the original myth so Wintersong was refreshingly new. I really enjoyed learning more about the Goblin King. Also enjoyed how things unfolded.

Full review here http://wp.me/p1L2EV-an ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
Wintersong leaves you feeling open. Your base emotions felt. You have a bewitching enchantment. S. Jae-Jones wrote some really cool scenes that feel spooky but completely captivating. This is for a person who appreciates someone having an actual style to their writing.

This haunting romantic tale reminds me of older horror novels. The ones that lead you on a trail into their enigmatic world. I guess it starts with the world building right. There are key scenes in the book like when Liesl can't find her sister in the market, or when she finds her sister eating a forbidden fruit in the goblin grove that were written so stellar that I won't forget. You could almost feel the juices from the fruit yourself just reading about it. There is so many little pieces that make it the story such a good read. The confusion Liesl feels, and the reader's anxiety knowing what she has forgotten. Their grandmother's constant reminder of the tales of the Goblin King.

The characters are set in a different time than us. It is distant but not so distant that it isn't relatable in Germany. Which that caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting that, but I found it appealing. They have a drunk for a father, and a nagging mother. There are three siblings in total. The older daughter is the prized beauty to be sold off into an arranged marriage. The younger, Liesl, is to watch after her old sister and sort of end up the old maid. There is a brother who relies heavily on Liesl's support to maintain his confidence.

Overall I couldn't be happier with reading this novel. It was thrilling to read. I always love a bit of romance to my stories. I really liked that this wasn't as cookie cutter as I was expecting when I initially read the blurb. I am very thankful to have received an ARC copy to read. ( )
  RozzieReads | Oct 16, 2018 |

S. Jae-Jonesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Christopher, DanielleCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorovoy, AnnaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

All her life, Liesl has heard tales of the beautiful, dangerous Goblin King. They’ve enraptured her and inspired her musical compositions. Now eighteen, Liesl feels that her childhood dreams are slipping away. And when her sister is taken by the Goblin King, Liesl has no choice but to journey to the Underground to save her. But with time and the old laws working against her, Liesl must discover who she truly is before her fate is sealed.

All her life, Liesl has heard tales of the beautiful, dangerous Goblin King. Now eighteen and helping to run her family's inn, Liesl can't help but feel that her dreams and fantasies are slipping away. But when her sister is taken by the Goblin King, Liesl must journey to the Underground to save her. Drawn to the strange, captivating world she finds--and the mysterious man who rules it--she soon faces an impossible decision. And with time and the old laws working against her, Liesl must discover who she truly is before her fate is sealed. -- from publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,469,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible