Should You Be Laughing at This? by Hugleikur…

Should You Be Laughing at This? (2006)

by Hugleikur Dagsson

1195101,247 (3.46)8

This wasn't my cup of tea - I found most of the toons pretty puerile. But I appreciate the fact that my local library has a copy that I could request, so I could read it for myself.
Some of the toons are available online: http://www.shouldyoubelaughingatthis.co.uk/ ( )
  francescadefreitas | Oct 15, 2010 |
fantastic book. Now I think most, if not all of it is funny but for some people it well, it can be offensive. It's all stick figure drawing in hilarous situations. Honestly why some might find the content distasteful I really think that Dagsson is entertaining and commenting on modern life. ( )
  ToRamona | Dec 14, 2009 |
The most explanitory book title of all time. This tiny volume is full of a great many hilarious cartoons which immediately after laughing you will think to yourself - why am I laughing? I shouldn't be laughing - that's sick!

That doesn't stop you from turning the next page though... ( )
  shanel | Nov 23, 2007 |
Icelandic cartoons that seem to be written intentionally to offend or shock. A few a actually quite funny, the majority are forced. ( )
  omphalos02 | Oct 3, 2007 |
Should You Be Laughing at This? is a cult classic in Iceland, apparently. Then again, Iceland is a dark country where people drink booze and eat rotten shark. Then again, that also describes Finland (well, lose the shark). People with strong moral backbone will most certainly find these crude comics about crude topics offensive, but if you're not too sensitive, this'll give you an opportunity to see what you can laugh about and what you cannot. What's sacred for you? (Review based on the Finnish translation.)

(Original review from my review blog) ( )
1 vote msaari | Aug 9, 2007 |

Hugleikur Gagsson's Should You Be Laughing at This? has achieved revered cult status and taken the Icelandic publishing world by storm. Of course, Iceland is a country whose national drink is called "Black Death," national dish is putrefied shark meat, and national literacy rate is 99.9%. That may give you a small idea of the dark but brilliant mind behind the shamefully addicting cartoons in this book. From the absurd to the offensive to the immoral, Dagsson includes every taboo out there. And when you find yourself snickering and cackling, you'll stop and ask yourself, "Should You Be Laughing at This?"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:27 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,332,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible