Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana…

Mistress of the Art of Death (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Ariana Franklin

Info:Berkley Trade (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 420 pages
Collections:audio book rental
Rating:****1/2
Tags:England, murder, 50 book challenge (2012), ABR, serial killer

Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin (2007)

Dissolution by C. J. Sansom (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these series are excellent mysteries set in well-drawn medieval England.
    Company of Liars by Karen Maitland (Anonymous user)
    Poison by Sara Poole (ltcl)
    Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs (Cecilturtle)
    Morality Play by Barry Unsworth (Anonymous user)
    The Canterbury Papers by Judith Koll Healey (starfishian, starfishian)
    My Lady Judge by Cora Harrison (gypsysmom)
    gypsysmom: Set in mediavel Ireland and has a woman in an unconventional job as the central character.
    Hangman Blind by Cassandra Clark (jm501)
    The Lady Agnès Mystery, Volume 1 by Andrea Japp (Imprinted)
    The Orphanmaster by Jean Zimmerman (Ape)
    Ape: Women solving murders involving children, in a historical setting.
    Death and the Devil by Frank Schätzing (starfishian)
    starfishian: Available in English translation as 'Death and the Devil'.
    (pmorris)
    Outlander, Books 1-5 by Diana Gabaldon (ltcl)

English (200)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (202)
While it stretches my imagination to believe that there was a female forensic doctor during these times, this was an entertaining twist on the current genre of forensic "who-done-it" tales. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
I am actually listening to this on cd. I don't have the patience to get the edition correct! The reader for this production is the best I have encountered. I will have to look her up, I am thinking she could read me the Stock Exchange...

Done now and I found this a really fun listen. Besides the outstanding narration, it was just entertaining. I was a little surprised, I admit, at how graphic the climax was, I didn't really expect it, but I can live with it. The romance was predictable, but still fun. There were many spots that caused me to smile and a few to laugh I believe. One of my favorite characters was the dog, named for his purpose, Safeguard. Giltha was stalwart, a diamond in the rough plain person that is a common and welcome character. Perhaps the most entertaining was King Henry's last minute arrival in the nick of time to spare Adelia from harm and skewer the Prioress. Quite satisfying. I hope the rest of the series can maintain! ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
This was an excellent book! Loved the description of 12th century England. And besides being a great mystery, it also made me laugh. ( )
  crazeedi73 | Jan 30, 2016 |
What he gets is Adelia Aguilar, a doctor whose independent mind and arrogant manner are as unorthodox as her profession. Adelia is a delight and her spirited efforts to stop the killings, while tending to the sick, making friends and finding romance, add to our appreciation of her forensic skills. But the lonely figure who truly stands out in Franklin’s vibrant tapestry of medieval life is King Henry — an enlightened monarch condemned to live in dark times.

Franklin, Arianaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoshizawa, YasukoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Helen Heller,
mistress of the art of thrillers
Here they come. From down the road we can hear harness jingling and see dust rising into the warm spring sky.
Love, however doomed, had the capacity to attach buoys to the soul.
Ariana Franklin is the pen name of Diana Norman.

In medieval Cambridge, four children have been murdered. The Catholic townsfolk blame their Jewish neighbors, so to save them from the rioting mob, the Cambridge Jews are placed under the protection of the king. Henry II is no friend of the Jews -- or anyone, really -- but he believes in law and order, and he desperately need the taxes and loans he receives from Jewish merchants. Hoping scientific investigation will help catch the true killer, Henry calls on his cousin the King of Sicily, whose subjects include the best medical experts in Europe, to send a forensics specialist. The Italian doctor chosen for the task is a young prodigy from the University of Salerno, an expert in the science of anatomy and the art of detection. Her name is Vesuvia Adelia Rachel Ortese Aguilar: the king has been sent a "mistress of the art of death." In the backward and superstitious country that is England, Adelia faces danger at every turn. As she examines the victims and retraces their last steps, she must conceal her true identity in order to avoid accusations of witchcraft. Along the way, she's assisted by one of the king's tax collectors, Sir Rowley Picot, a man with a personal stake in the investigation. A former Crusader knight, Rowley may be either a much-needed friend or an ally of the fiend they seek. As Adelia's investigation takes her along Cambridge's shadowy river paths, and behind the closed doors of its churches and nunneries, the hunt intensifies and the killer prepares to strike again... (978-0-399-15414-0)
Mistress of the art
Of death helps to uncover
Cambridge child killer.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425219259, Paperback)

The national bestselling hit hailed by the New York Times as a "vibrant medieval mystery...[it] outdoes the competition."

In medieval Cambridge, England, Adelia, a female forensics expert, is summoned by King Henry II to investigate a series of gruesome murders that has wrongly implicated the Jewish population, yielding even more tragic results. As Adelia's investigation takes her behind the closed doors of the country's churches, the killer prepares to strike again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:32 -0400)

Set in medieval England, a young Italian doctor, Adelia, must solve the mysterious murders of four children.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,846,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible