Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana…

Mistress of the Art of Death (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Ariana Franklin

3,1092091,817 (3.95)558
Member:huladancer
Title:Mistress of the Art of Death
Authors:Ariana Franklin
Info:Berkley Trade (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 420 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:mystery, historical, 12th century, medieval, British, England, Cambridge, woman doctor, forensic medicine, child murders, crusaders, nuns, Henry II, witchcraft, Adelia Aguilar 1

Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin (2007)

Dissolution by C. J. Sansom (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these series are excellent mysteries set in well-drawn medieval England.
    Company of Liars by Karen Maitland (Anonymous user)
    Poison by Sara Poole (ltcl)
    Déjà Dead by Kathy Reichs (Cecilturtle)
    Morality Play by Barry Unsworth (Anonymous user)
    The Canterbury Papers by Judith Koll Healey (starfishian, starfishian)
    My Lady Judge by Cora Harrison (gypsysmom)
    gypsysmom: Set in mediavel Ireland and has a woman in an unconventional job as the central character.
    Hangman Blind by Cassandra Clark (jm501)
    The Lady Agnès Mystery, Volume 1 by Andrea Japp (Imprinted)
    The Orphanmaster by Jean Zimmerman (Ape)
    Ape: Women solving murders involving children, in a historical setting.
    Death and the Devil by Frank Schätzing (starfishian)
    starfishian: Available in English translation as 'Death and the Devil'.
    (pmorris)
    Outlander, Books 1-5 by Diana Gabaldon (ltcl)

English (207)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (209)
Not bad, not bad. I found the author's writing style to grate a little but I can't pinpoint exactly why. I'm intrigued enough at least to give the second book in this series a chance. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Sub-genre: Historical Mystery
5 Stars

Synopsis:
Henry II of England has a problem. The Jews are suspected of killing small children and cannot pay their taxes. Henry summons a “doctor of the dead” from Salerno and Adelia Aguilar must not only investigate the gruesome deaths but also conceal her identity among a superstitious people preoccupied with blood libels and witchcraft. Adelia and her companions are in a race against time to solve the mystery before the Jews are lynched and another child is slaughtered.

Review:
This is one of the best books I have ever read – it is basically CSI in the Middle Ages. The descriptions of the period are detailed and thought provoking, and the characterization is brilliant even for the supporting cast. I particularly enjoyed the heroine, who is intelligent and admirable. The traditional serial killer plots takes on an interesting twist that will shock and disturb. I know it made my throat go dry.
Recommendation: Highly recommended. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Very much enjoyed the historical aspects and am looking forward to more of her books because of that.

However, I found the characters a little vaguely written and was especially struck by the lack of explanation for the killer turning into the monster that he became. ( )
  abbeyhar | Nov 8, 2016 |
Several things pulled me into this story. For one, I'm a sucker for the time period. I was also very interested to see how Franklin would go about portraying a woman doctor slapped down in the midst of 12th century England.

Overall, I think it well worth the read. Franklin has developed a pretty intriguing character in Adelia. She layers that interest with an 'outsider's look' at 12th century England; using the culture, living conditions, medical knowledge, superstitions, and the constant battle/confusion/chaos between the church and the king as well as between the world's 'major' religions of the period to weave the story firmly in its place.

The main issues for me were how the 'villein' was discovered and the relationship between Adelia and Sir Rowley. Both seemed abrasively typical and, as such, were disappointing. However, there was enough to the character and the overall mystery to make it something worth sticking with. I'd be interested to see how the character was further developed. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
Quite frankly, I kept having to remind myself that this was medieval England, not Victorian, while I read this book. The female protagonist was unbelievably modern, to a point where her brashness would have annoyed me (often called militaristically feminist, to my dismay). Think, a woman this strong has been flung into such ancient times with an unthinkable career and sense of self. Then, yes, she has a modern romance. And, my God!, an attraction to a man. Now I understand this is pre-Victoria, but I could not believe a woman at this time, who is so strong in her opinions and so open in her work, could fall in love so swiftly.

Beyond that, the mystery aspect of this story was intriguing, with the premise of disproving an allegation against Jews for multiple murders of children. My suspension of disbelief didn't have to go far there.

Overall, I was extremely disappointed in this novel. It was tedious and difficult to read. Not recommended. ( )
  cemagoc | Aug 8, 2016 |
What he gets is Adelia Aguilar, a doctor whose independent mind and arrogant manner are as unorthodox as her profession. Adelia is a delight and her spirited efforts to stop the killings, while tending to the sick, making friends and finding romance, add to our appreciation of her forensic skills. But the lonely figure who truly stands out in Franklin’s vibrant tapestry of medieval life is King Henry — an enlightened monarch condemned to live in dark times.

Franklin, Arianaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Timmermann, KlausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasel, UlrikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoshizawa, YasukoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Helen Heller,
mistress of the art of thrillers
Here they come. From down the road we can hear harness jingling and see dust rising into the warm spring sky.
Love, however doomed, had the capacity to attach buoys to the soul.
Ariana Franklin is the pen name of Diana Norman.

In medieval Cambridge, four children have been murdered. The Catholic townsfolk blame their Jewish neighbors, so to save them from the rioting mob, the Cambridge Jews are placed under the protection of the king. Henry II is no friend of the Jews -- or anyone, really -- but he believes in law and order, and he desperately need the taxes and loans he receives from Jewish merchants. Hoping scientific investigation will help catch the true killer, Henry calls on his cousin the King of Sicily, whose subjects include the best medical experts in Europe, to send a forensics specialist. The Italian doctor chosen for the task is a young prodigy from the University of Salerno, an expert in the science of anatomy and the art of detection. Her name is Vesuvia Adelia Rachel Ortese Aguilar: the king has been sent a "mistress of the art of death." In the backward and superstitious country that is England, Adelia faces danger at every turn. As she examines the victims and retraces their last steps, she must conceal her true identity in order to avoid accusations of witchcraft. Along the way, she's assisted by one of the king's tax collectors, Sir Rowley Picot, a man with a personal stake in the investigation. A former Crusader knight, Rowley may be either a much-needed friend or an ally of the fiend they seek. As Adelia's investigation takes her along Cambridge's shadowy river paths, and behind the closed doors of its churches and nunneries, the hunt intensifies and the killer prepares to strike again... (978-0-399-15414-0)
Mistress of the art
Of death helps to uncover
Cambridge child killer.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425219259, Paperback)

The national bestselling hit hailed by the New York Times as a "vibrant medieval mystery...[it] outdoes the competition."

In medieval Cambridge, England, Adelia, a female forensics expert, is summoned by King Henry II to investigate a series of gruesome murders that has wrongly implicated the Jewish population, yielding even more tragic results. As Adelia's investigation takes her behind the closed doors of the country's churches, the killer prepares to strike again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:32 -0400)

Sent to medieval Cambridge in order to exonerate Jewish prisoners who have been accused of murdering four children, University of Salerno medical expert Adelia discovers that the killer may be a former crusader.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,783,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible