Lullaby by Ed McBain

Lullaby (1989)

by Ed McBain

Series: 87th Precinct (41)

87th Precinct detectives Meyer Meyer and Steve Carella find themselves investigating the murder of a 6 month old baby and her babysitter early on New Years Day morning. Bert Kling, another detective in the Precinct is working on a finding a drug dealer named Hamilton after he saves the life of Jose Herrara from a beating with baseball bats wielded by Hamilton's not to smart henchmen. Herrara meanwhile is trying to outsmart Hamilton plus a group of Chinese drugs dealers as well as using Kling to help him.

Another complicated story that keeps the pages turning. ( )
  lamour | Apr 10, 2017 |

This was the old maestro's fortieth novel in the 87th Precinct series, and it's one of the longest and best. The main plot strand has Carella and Meyer tracking down the killer of a babysitter and baby during the early hours of New Year's Day -- a killer who's not unafraid to kill again. In the usual McBain fashion, there's plenty of dirty laundry that comes out during the two cops' investigation. Meantime, Kling has saved the life a small-time hood who promises, not as a favour but more as a matter of shared self-interest, to elucidate the details of an enormous drug transaction due to go down in Isola during the next few days. Little does Kling realize it, but he's being sucked into a vortex involving extraordinary inter-gang carnage. In a third and significantly lesser plot strand, Eileen Burke, who has been Kling's significant other, is undergoing psychotherapy in order to cope with having killed a man in the line of duty and earlier having suffered rape during undercover work; should she carry through with her intention to resign the badge, and should she make her separation from Kling permanent?

It's all great stuff, with the characteristic McBain mixture of gritty reality, casual violence, integrity-versus-venality, verbal pyrotechnics and frequent blithe humour. I'm beginning to run out of later 87th Precinct novels that I haven't yet read, and may have to go back to the beginning of the series to reread the ones I first encountered (thanks to the bookshelf and generous lending of my older cousin Brian) as a schoolboy . . .
  JohnGrant1 | Aug 11, 2013 |
Even after 40 novels in this series, Mr. McBain still delivers a story without fidgeting, like someone who knows the law's on his side.

Ed McBainprimary authorall editionscalculated
Negretti, AndreinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stromberg, MikeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743470745, Mass Market Paperback)

Stephen King and Nelson DeMille on Ed McBain

I think Evan Hunter, known by that name or as Ed McBain, was one of the most influential writers of the postwar generation. He was the first writer to successfully merge realism with genre fiction, and by so doing I think he may actually have created the kind of popular fiction that drove the best-seller lists and lit up the American imagination in the years 1960 to 2000. Books as disparate as The New Centurions, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, The Godfather, Black Sunday, and The Shining all owe a debt to Evan Hunter, who taught a whole generation of baby boomers how to write stories that were not only entertaining but that truthfully reflected the times and the culture. He will be remembered for bringing the so-called "police procedural" into the modern age, but he did so much more than that. And he was one hell of a nice man. --Stephen King

Way back in the mid-1970s, when I was a new writer and police series were very big, my editor asked me to do a series called Joe Ryker, NYPD. I had no idea how to write a police detective novel, but the editor handed me a stack of books and said, “These are the 87th Precinct novels by Ed McBain. Read them and you’ll know everything you need to know about police novels.” After I read the first book--which I think was Let’s Hear It for the Deaf Man--I was hooked, and I read every Ed McBain I could get my hands on. Then I sat down and wrote my own detective novel, The Sniper, featuring Joe Ryker. My series never reached the heights of the 87th Precinct series, but by reading those classic masterpieces, I learned all I needed to know about urban crime and how detectives think and act. And I had a hell of a time learning from the master. Years later, when I actually got to meet Ed McBain/Evan Hunter, I told him this story, and he said, “I would have liked it better if my books inspired you to become a detective instead of becoming my competition.” Evan and I became friends, and I was privileged to know him and honored to be in his company. I remain indebted to him for his good advice over the years. But most of all, I thank him for hundreds of hours of great reading. --Nelson DeMille

To read about how Ed McBain influenced other mystery and thriller writers, visit our Perspectives on McBain page.

For a complete selection of 87th Precinct novels available from Thomas & Mercer, visit our Ed McBain's 87th Precinct Booklist.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:59 -0400)

Detectives Meyer and Carella investigate a savage murder, gang warfare suddenly erupts in the city, the drug business heats up, and the 87th Precinct finds itself tense and taxed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,654,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible