The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey

The Jesus I Never Knew (1995)

by Philip Yancey

Very readable book, exploring the reality of the life of Jesus Christ. Cultural contexts and examination of the writings of the Gospels, in a clear and well-explained format. Not really for reading at one sitting, but definitely recommended for anyone who would like to know more about the real Jesus. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
"Den Jesus jag aldrig känt" målar en Jesus som är utmanande, orädd, oförutsägbar och ytterst övertygande. Boken kommer att hjälpa oss att upptäcka en annan person än den flanellograf-Jesus vi mötte i söndagsskolan, den vackert blåögde västerlänning som förmedlats av konst och film eller klichébilderna av "revolutionären" och "vishetsläraren" som gjort honom till en tam variant av något han inte är.
  svkkarlskrona | Jan 22, 2016 |

I thought this was a very intelligent, perceptive account of the life of Jesus.

Since childhood - in the West anyway - we've all got used to the story of Jesus, and so to see the Virgin Birth, the Crucifixion, the Resurrection, and all of the other aspects of Jesus' life in their historical, political and social context is fascinating.

Phillip Yancey is an incredible writer and, as he states himself, his background is not theology but journalism. This means he approaches subjects from a very analytical perspective, and is often brave enough to say that at certain times in Jesus’ life, he wouldn’t quite know how to act as a bystander.

This is definitely a highly recommended book, and not just for Christians, but for anybody who wants to understand more about the life of Jesus.
  AngeloMarcos | Jan 6, 2015 |
A thought-provoking book, but I would like a bit more depth. ( )
  aevaughn | Apr 10, 2014 |
Easter was such an appropriate day to finish reading this book! Yancey doesn't shy away from mystery and apparent contradiction. He stays true to the context of Jesus' life and expands on what it all means for those of us who believe. ( )
  Amy.Scott | Nov 21, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 031021923X, Paperback)

An old adage says, "God created man in His own image and man has been returning the favor ever since." Philip Yancey realized that despite a lifetime attending Sunday school topped off by a Bible college education, he really had no idea who Jesus was. In fact, he found himself further and further removed from the person of Jesus, distracted instead by flannel-graph figures and intellectual inspection. He determined to use his journalistic talents to approach Jesus, in the context of time, within the framework of history.

In The Jesus I Never Knew, Yancey explores the life of Jesus, as he explains, "'from below,' to grasp as best I can what it must have been like to observe in person the extraordinary events unfolding in Galilee and Judea" as Jesus traveled and taught. Yancey examines three fundamental questions: who Jesus was, why he came, and what he left behind. Step by step, scene by scene, Yancey probes the culture into which Jesus was born and grew to adulthood; his character and mission; his teachings and miracles; his legacy--not just as history has told it, but as he himself intended it to be.

Yancey is not alone in his examination of the "real" Jesus. Publishing today is replete with writers committed to setting the story "straight,quot; joining countless others who, over the past 2,000 years, have determined to discover the truth about Jesus. But where others would deconstruct and discount, Yancey disarms and discloses. We become colleagues with him as he examines the accounts of the life of Jesus. And among the things that we discover is that Jesus himself leaves us few options: either he was who he said he was or he was nuts.

Philip Yancey was awarded the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year award for this book in 1996 by the Evangelical Christian Publishers Association. It's not the first, nor the last, award Yancey has won for his writing. But the writing is not necessarily the great gift of this book. Yancey allows the reader to discover, along with him, The Jesus I Never Knew. --Patricia Klein

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:08 -0400)

Suspose we hear an unkown man spoken of by many men. Suppose we were puzzled to hear that some men said hew ws too tall and some too short; some objected to his fatness, some lamented his leanness; some thought him too dark, and some too fair. One explanation ...would be that he might be an odd shape. But there is another explanation. He might be the right shape.. Perhaps (in short) this extraordinary thing is really the ordinary thing; at least the normal thing, the centre.… (more)

Zondervan

4 editions of this book were published by Zondervan.

Editions: 031021923X, 0310385709, 0310224330, 031027530X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible