Grape City by Kevin L. Donihe

Grape City

by Kevin L. Donihe

I love the concept of this book: Hell has gone out of business, so demons are forced to live on Earth in a human-like lifestyle. Some elements of Hell, however, have come to the surface, and life is cruel and violent - nothing like it is now. That means “Charles,” a demon who had to shed his frightening name for something more acceptable, lives in an apartment and works at a fast food place and a used car lot. He gets set up on blind dates and tries to stay in touch with demons from Hell. The book is witty in some parts, but overall I wanted more. I think there was a lot of room for details to be expanded, and I would love to see more of the world without Hell - since that means that there is Hell on Earth. The ending is kind of open enough for a sequel, though it was written in 2006 so I need to look into the author’s other works and see if there’s a follow-up. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
You know it's bad when a demon is distressed by humanity. This is a good (very short) story, not for the easily offended.
  IntrinsiclyMe | Mar 5, 2010 |
Donihe's weird tale of a demon struggling with a dystopian human society is interesting, but I can't help but feel that it might have worked better as a short story along the lines of his fantastic The Greatest Fucking Moment in Sports rather than a longer novella. The pacing just doesn't feel quite right. Still, it's a nice outlet for Donihe's bizarro romanticism, and I enjoyed it. ( )
  tankexmortis | Feb 6, 2009 |
Grape City was a fast, entertaining read about a demon named Charles who has to live on earth after Hell has closed down. The earth in this book is entirely different from earth now, with check-out girls putting bombs in your bags, bang-murdering, and hack-raping your dates. Charles has a hard time adjusting and spends a lot of time at home day-dreaming and e-mailing Satan.
Though Grape City may not be the next classic or a genius, literary gem, it is still a great book, nevertheless. ( )
  Magadri | Sep 3, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,981,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible