The Last Mughal: The Fall of a Dynasty:…

The Last Mughal: The Fall of a Dynasty: Delhi, 1857 (2006)

by William Dalrymple

7852011,730 (4)22

Great Book...Must Read... The fact that so much (bad) happened and at such a large scale during the mutiny/uprising is largely unknown to many. true eye opener and greatly compiled. imagining what Delhi would have been to visit had the Brits not demolished the city post mutiny is hard to imagine.. like the author says there is more to Delhi than the eyes see and the city indeed attract you. ( )
  _RSK | Jan 26, 2016 |
A book about the Great Indian Mutiny of 1857. The first attempt to free itself of foreign rule and war of Independence. This was the beginning of the end for the Mughal Empire in particular and Muslim hold over India in general. These are the forces that led to the rise of Nationalist Forces that finally led to Independence in 1947 and also the partition of the country that same year.

I thought this book could have been better written. I found it too long drawn and repetitive.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |

kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
This is undoubtedly an excellent historical narrative about a place and a time of which I knew nothing when I started the book and I appreciate the enormous amount of time and energy Dalrymple and his associates have put into researching and writing this book. I imagine that anyone reading this can see a but coming, so here it us.
The problem with this book is its length and complexity. There is just too much detail and too many characters to make it really readable; I think the author needed an editor or even a co-writer to get a fascinating story, which goes some way to explaining the background to some of today's problems, both on the sub-continent and in the West's relationship with it, distilled into the clear and compelling story it could have been. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
A wonderfully told and researched look at the downfall of Delhi during the Indian Revolt of 1857. A difficult read at time due to the barbarity of both sides but does not revel in it. ( )
  bhutton | Apr 2, 2015 |
To my beloved Ibby
At 4 P.M. on a hazy, humid winter's afternoon in Rangoon in November 1862, soon after the end of the monsoon, a shrouded corpse was escorted by a small group of British soldiers to an anonymous grave at the back of a walled prison enclosure.
Brilliant historical account. A must read!!

A portrait of Mughal emperor, poet, and mystic Bahadur Shah Zafar II relates the 1857 armed uprising against British rule, the fall of the Mughal capital of Delhi and its subsequent destruction, and Zafar's final days as an exile in Burma.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,908,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible