A Love for the Pages by Joy Penny

A Love for the Pages

by Joy Penny

95950,433 (4)None

I was given this book by reading deals for an honest review.

I absolutely love the classics. They represent the love story foundations of my youth. When I read the description for this story, maybe I got my hopes up too high for how those aspects would be woven into this story. It's not that I didn't like the story, I did. I just found some of the dialogue and descriptive narratives to be trying too hard. Mid point of the book the story line started to feel rushed, almost as if the author was in a hurry to finish the book. Just when I was starting to engage with the characters more...poof everything's all wrapped up and the book is over.
I would certainly recommend this book to lover's of the classics, however - make sure you've read the main one's referenced in the description. You might find yourself on the outside of the inside jokes if you haven't.
Happy reading! ( )
  AmyJ71 | Jun 20, 2017 |
This book was a cute easy read, about a college student comparing her romance to her favorite books. This would be a good beach read. I would be interested in other books by this author. ( )
  jennyj271 | Jul 10, 2016 |
The flow and writing of this book is different than I am used to so I had to do a lot of rereading. I don’t know if it was the author’s writing style or if the book just needed a little more editing to help give it that well-polished finish. I would recommend this for girls in high school or college as the main character is 19. Although I am 26 only I did not feel much of a connection to the struggles June goes through because I am *finally* done with all that! There are a lot the typical motifs you see in young adult fiction. June and her brother do not get along well but they don’t hate each other either. June has a pushy step father that is more or less forcing her into a career path she does not want. June is also experiencing a disconnect with high school friends now that they have gone to college. And then of course you have to have the love interest(s)! Although I did not really relate to June’s circumstances, I did find this book enjoyable and read the whole thing in one day. I liked how Joy Penny weaved June’s love for the classics throughout the book. I am a huge fan of Wuthering Heights so I enjoyed the references to it. ( )
  AmberKirbey | Apr 2, 2016 |
I liked this book a lot, at the very start. June seemed very relatable, as a young woman who loved literature, yet was unable to pursue her dream as a career because of her family's expectations. June seemed like someone I'd want to be friends with—especially because of the way she took care of her books. Like the way she aided to her wounded paperback warrior.

And, I must say, I do love Joy Penny's writing style. Right off the bat she included witty dialogue that immediately drew me in. Here is one of my favorites:

"You're about thirty shades of red right now, June. What you're thinking is probably illegal in forty-eight states."
"If you're guessing I'm thinking about murdering you right now for trying to embarrass me, I'd have to point out that's illegal in all fifty states."

This is the kind of quality writing I like to see in a book.
And gosh, I loved Owen. He is everything I would want in a little brother.
I loved Sinjin too—he was the epitome of the perfect guy, whether or not he was a boyfriend or best friend.

So the book would've been a full five stars. And then Rockford and June met and sparks began to fly. The relationship moved a little too fast in my opinion; it felt as though it was the type of cliche story that could be broken down into these few steps.

1. Boy meets girl.
2. Boy and girl hate one another.
3. They talk and either one or both of them confess their tragic pasts.
4. They fall in love. Drama ensues.
5. Smooch smooch, they end up together.

That's the type of plotline that was running through my head as I read A Love for the Pages. And I felt that Rockford and June just didn't know one another enough, despite the confessions Rockford made about his past.

I also felt as if there were some moments in the book that simply consisted of mindless drama, especially on June's part.

But the thing that brought the story back was June's own confession, which happened wayyyyyy back in the last few pages. Still, I am so glad it happened—this was the character development that I had anxiously been waiting for. To me, it was so important for June to understand that her life was her very own, not the parallel of the classics she loved to read.

That was the moment, I think, where June finally accepted who she really was and decided to let go. She learned the importance of being her own self—not a character from a book, not the person her parents wanted her to be—and this is what made me truly relate to this book and why I thought the story the author wove was one that needed to be told.

The way June changed her life at the end was much more than her finding love with Rockford—it was the way she found herself, which was the most important of all.

"Our life, huh? I'm surprised to find that 'I could get used to that' isn't even the first line that pops into my head. Because I already am.

This is so, so beautiful. Thank you, Joy Penny, for sharing it with me. ( )
  CatherineHsu | Mar 20, 2016 |
During the first week of The Romance Reviews Year End Splash Party I won an e-book copy of this book and for that I’ve written my honest opinion this book.

What young girl doesn’t fantasize even at a young age about becoming a princess and finding a prince she can fall in love with. And as they get older the characters in the books she reads mature along with her. In this book June Eyermann is such a girl, a girl who’s on the border of crossing over to womanhood.

Being the true bibliophile she is, June has taken a particular quality of a certain male character from several of the classic books she adores reading to form her own fantasy male. From Wuthering Heights she’s taken Heathcliff, from Jane Eyre she’s taken Rochester, and from Pride and Prejudice she’s taken Darcy. And just like Danny Kaye’s character did in the Secret Life of Walter Mitty, June’s mind drifts off to one of her books when she sees or hears certain things.

When June returns home from her first year of college she desperately needs something to occupy her time with; and what better way could a book lover like her to have than to take a voluntary position at the local library where she can be with all the characters she loves. Even with her characters close at hand, June has her ultimate nameless male character floating around in her mind.

For June to have a fantasy character on her mind is one thing, but to have him suddenly appear in real life is a totally different matter. As you read this book, Ms. Penny has made sure you’ve stepped into June’s shoes as her heart begins to race every time he’s in her presence even after witnessing his fierce sensitivity and having discovered his mysterious past.

If you’ve read things by Lord Byron then you’ll understand precisely what June is thinking about those heroines and that she’s fearful becoming one herself in real life. June is determined that hers will be one which will end in a happily ever after, but to know whether or not she gets it, you’ll have to read this book.

This book is right on target with its intended audience of young girls and will create wonderful memories for those who are somewhat older, which is why I’ve given Ms. Penny 5 STARS for her debut endeavor. ( )
  MyPenNameOnly | Feb 2, 2016 |

Kiss. Marry. Kill. Nineteen-year-old June Eyermann has always known exactly which of her favorite Byronic heroes goes where. She’d kiss moody and possessive Rochester from Jane Eyre and marry prideful but repentant Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, leaving obsessive and spiteful Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights to be chucked off a cliff—but no. She couldn’t leave any of her heroes behind. She lives for her favorite fictional worlds.

But June is about to get a serious wake up call when she returns home for the summer after her college freshman year. Stuck somewhere between feeling like a kid again under her parents’ roof and being forced to start acting like an adult with worries about her future career, June looks at the library volunteer position offered to her as a way to keep her sanity for the next few months before she can go back to school.

What June doesn’t expect to find at the library is her favorite romantic heroes brought to life—all in the same man. Obstinate, prideful and even a bit rude, Everett Rockford shouldn’t exactly be “dating material,” even if June’s heart rate accelerates whenever she’s near him. But after discovering his enigmatic past and witnessing a few fiery moments of tenderness, June can’t help but see Rochester, Darcy and even Heathcliff in Everett. If she’s going to make it through the summer without becoming a tragic heroine in her own story, she has to separate the man from the ideals of fiction in her head. Because if there’s one thing she knows about Byronic love stories, it’s that they don’t always end happily ever after.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Joy Penny's book A Love for the Pages was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Joy Penny is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,709,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible