Galactic North by Alastair Reynolds

Galactic North (edition 2007)

by Alastair Reynolds

Title:Galactic North
Authors:Alastair Reynolds (Author)
Info:London: Gollancz
Collections:Your library, Storage unit
Tags:sf, science fiction, short stories, Alastair Reynolds

Galactic North [collection] by Alastair Reynolds (Author)

Recently added byWicker, mustelid, murphman, private library, JulienDym, divemedics, BomboChipolata

English (21)  Dutch (1)  All languages (22)
Reynolds' stories have yet to disappoint me and this good-size collection of eight novellas and longer short stories kept my impression intact. The collection includes an afterword by the author to add some perspective, inspirations, clues and tidbits to the stories. The stories were written at various times over the author's career, including new ones, and are part of his future history series generally referred to as "Revelation Space." The first story is set on Mars about 200 hundred years from now and the final one, the title story, covers a vast period of time into the far future. The topics are really varied and for science fiction fans who like challenging, interesting stuff, this is good. This is the kind of harder-edged modern "space opera" that I like. This type of story is not for a casual reader - this is not Ray Bradbury on Mars or elsewhere. The science is challenging. In a way these stories create an episodic novel that covers a vast amount of time and space. The impact of the stories is cumulative. There is also a dark streak that runs through most of these stories.

The included stories are:

203 Grafenwelder's Bestiary • (2006) • novelette
252 Nightingale • (2006) • novella
326 Galactic North • (1999) • novelette
368 Afterword • (2006) • essay by Alastair Reynolds

Every story in this collection is interesting. "Great Wall of Mars" certainly starts this off very well and whet my appetite for more. The novella "Weather" probably had the strongest emotional effect on me, and I think I'll call it my favorite here. The one story I didn't much care for was "Grafenwelder's Bestiary" because it was too dark and macabre for my personal tastes. The longer length of most of the stories really allowed some nice world building and atmosphere. Although written at various times, the stories are related and presented in a chronological order. Reynolds "Afterword" explains much about the stories and setup and was really interesting to me. I've enjoyed just about everything I've read by Reynolds and I'm looking forward to reading much more from this author. ( )
  RBeffa | Nov 24, 2015 |
Enjoyable short stories, set in the same milieu as his first few novels. I had read a couple of these before in Dozois' "Year's Best" anthologies, but they actually stood up to re-reading. ( )
  ronhenry | Nov 17, 2015 |

slightly to my surprise, turned out not to be a novel but a set of short stories set in the universe of Revelation Space. I had read a couple of them before - I particularly remembered "A Spy in Europa" from when it was first published in Interzone - though I see that three of the stories were published only in this volume. The whole is greater than its parts (and the parts are pretty good). Out of the context of the framing narrative of Reynolds' future history, they just seem like neat, vivid ideas; grouped together, the overall plan becomes clear. Reynolds explains the order and method of composition in an afterword; I guess if I'd stopped to think while reading I'd have spotted fairly easily which the first written story is, but I was enjoying it too much to reflect. Good hard sf in that distinctly British voice that Reynolds shares with Stephen Baxter. ( )
1 vote nwhyte | Nov 1, 2015 |
The Revelation Space universe is an amazing place, and a large part of what gives it its charm is the sense of history with which Reynolds has imbued his books. This collection is a bit of an eye-opener in when you get to see just what the scope of his created fictional history is. Copious references to characters and events from his series make these stories mesh perfectly with those books, and perhaps the most impressive part is that main of them were written before the novels. Beyond that, though, this is still a solid collection of awesome sci-fi stories. ( )
1 vote saltmanz | Oct 21, 2013 |
I don't generally like short stories, but I enjoyed these. Particularly the ones about Clavain. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Reynolds, AlastairAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For David Pringle
"You realise you might die down there," said Warren.

Great Wall of Mars
A Spy in Europa
Dilation Sleep
Grafenwalder's Bestiary
Galactic North

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441016006, Mass Market Paperback)

Gathered here for the first time are Alastair Reynolds' stories and novelettes set in the universe of REVELATION SPACE, his first bestselling blockbuster.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:44 -0400)

'Galactic North', Alastair Reynolds' first collection features eight novellas and short stories, three brand-new for this volume.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,947,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible