Doubletalk: The Language, Code, and Jargon…

Doubletalk: The Language, Code, and Jargon of a Presidential Election (edition 2016)

by Chuck McCutcheon (Author)

119820,536 (3.75)None
Member:matthilton
Title:Doubletalk: The Language, Code, and Jargon of a Presidential Election
Authors:Chuck McCutcheon (Author)
Info:ForeEdge (2016), 90 pages

Doubletalk: The Language, Code, and Jargon of a Presidential Election by Chuck McCutcheon

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A good book to read a little at a time, otherwise it will seem overwhelming. ( )
  1Randal | Jun 8, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There is a lot of good information in these definitions and I liked how the author gave examples to demonstrate how the terms are used but I felt like it was a lot of jaron go to go through. I was expecting a more simple dictionary style book but including more information is a good thing. I was surprised by a lot of the words he had included in this book because some of the words I had never heard being used before or I had thought they were just simple phrases that didn't really need explaining. I had though that a lot more complicated terms that a lot of people misuses and misunderstand would be included in this book, like republic, democracy, liberalism, conservatism, socialism because a lot of politicians throw around these words and people just assume what they mean and end up misconstruding the words. I am giving 4 stars because it is good information and can be useful for people but I would have liked more political science terms to be explained that civilians use without understanding the full meaning. ( )
  AlexandraTome | May 31, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I will give credit to the author for trying to stay bipartisan, and doing a lot of research. I honestly thought there were be more than just terms and definitions., not that wasn't interesting but still. also it is a very quick read. Glad I took time to read it, probably wouldn't read it again. but would recommend to certain friends. overall I'm still giving credit for research and give this 3.5 or just a little under 4 stars ( )
1 vote ryanpoole | Apr 6, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I just finished DOUBLETALK: THE LANGUAGE, CODE, AND JARGON OF A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION by Chuck McCutcheon and David Mark. The book was sent to me by the University Press of New England in exchange for an unbiased review.
Access points include an Introduction, Doubletalk (an alphabetical list of words, terms and phrases - a table of contents if you will), Notes and a List of Terms (index). The Notes section is (for me) a book in itself - the references and sources of all the ‘Doubletalk’ was as fascinating as reading the book. I accessed many of the references and was fully engaged in the articles, speeches and web sites. The index was helpful.
I enjoyed this book immensely. It was interesting, humorous (although this is not a ‘comedy’ book), well-documented, a satire of sorts, an etymology lesson, and a crash course in presidential election politics, history and ridicule.
Some of my favorite ‘Doubletalk’ terms are:
Bateson candidate is a term “coined by political scientist/columnist Jonathan Bernstein to describe politicians who are ‘oddly out of sync with normal time’. Bateson candidate comes from Star Trek and refers to Captain Morgan Bateson of the starship USS Bozeman, which encountered a time warp that trapped it 90 years ahead of time.”
Box Canyon is “a Wild West metaphor which describes a political situatiion from which you can’t easily extricate yourself and are vulnerable to attack.”
Inspector Javert is “the primary antagonist of Victor Hugo’s LES MISERABLES, now applied to any investigator of a politician whose probing is perceived to be overzealous.” Hillary Clinton has faced several ‘Inspector Javert’.
Schrodinger’s cat is a quantum physics term which “is a famous thought experiment describing a cat that might be both alive and dead in a box; in politics, shorthand for someone or something in a strangely paradoxical situation.”
I could continue and ‘copy the entire book’ for this review, but I will stop and hope that you pick up the book yourself. It is so interesting and funny and intriguing - all rolled into one. Please look through the Notes and read as many references as you can - it is a fascinating look at out political system. ( )
1 vote diana.hauser | Mar 26, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A small collection of word gems that spice up an election race - the essential phrases that contort, distort, and even belie. So we learn about 'adults in the room', 'autopsy reports', 'cuckservatives', 'earned media', a 'rope-a-dope' or what it means to 'poke the bear'.

But when the author discusses the phrase 'job killing' and quotes arguments that try to tell us that 'regulation is not a significant factor affecting overall employment' or even better: 'environmental regualtion creates jobs!' then it is clear - he has not the slightest idea of economics.

However, I read it to the end and enjoyed a few phrases.
So: Three stars, not more, not less. ( )
  viennamax | Mar 10, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Chuck McCutcheon's book Doubletalk: The Language, Code, and Jargon of a Presidential Election was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Chuck McCutcheon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,389,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible