Imogene's Antlers by David Small

Imogene's Antlers (1985)

by David Small

One Thursday Imogene wakes up with a pair of antlers growing out of her head and causes a sensation wherever she goes.

In my opinion, this book is great for students who are learning how to read. This is also a good book for students to learn new words such as miniature, prodded, encyclopedia, & milliner. I think this book pushes readers to think about accepting people who are a little different or even people who have physical disabilities. "Getting dressed was difficult, and going through a door now took some thinking." Even though for Imogene it was antlers, students can eventually come to the conclusion that there are people who are born with these physical difficulties and others that could wake up one day and have their lives changed. ( )
  JEscob | Feb 14, 2018 |
One Thursday morning, Imogene wakes up with antlers which causes her to do some thinking about how she will go about her day with her new set of antlers. By the end of the book she loses her antlers and grows peacock feathers.
  kstapleton16 | Jan 22, 2018 |
This is a story of a little girl who wakes one morning to discover she has grown antlers. I am not the biggest fan of this book. It is cute I just don't have much interest while reading it!

Grades 1-4 ( )
  mackenzieblizzard | May 4, 2017 |
This book is about imogene waking up and having antlers. Young Children would think this is funny and entertaining. I would talk about it during hunting season and make a joke with it. ( )
  bkelley22 | Apr 18, 2017 |
This book would be used as an interactive read aloud. For my kindergartners and first graders, we could do an activity where they decorate their own antlers! Each student will get a headshot taken. On their printed photo, they will glue pipe cleaners to their heads. Using feathers, jewels, sequins, etc., they will decorate these antlers. The students will then do a "Show Not Tell" writing where they show me through their writing the detials of how they made their antlers. This will help them practice descriptive writing and sequencing of events. Second graders, could do this activity also, but also write how they would feel if they woke up one day with Elk antlers. They would write what they think would be more difficult for them, what they could use them for, etc.
  kkminime | Apr 18, 2017 |

David Smallprimary authorall editionscalculated
Imogene CocaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to A.B., L.D. and little O.
&mdash D.S.
On Thursday, when Imogene woke up, she found she had grown antlers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,571,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible