Mirette on the High Wire by Emily Arnold…

Mirette on the High Wire (1992)

by Emily Arnold McCully

Series: Mirette (1)

Emily Arnold's McCully's "Mirette on the High Wire" is a wonderful story of the power of youth. It also shows the positive results that can be acheived with power and determination. Mirette meets a high wire performer who does not perform anymore at their mother's boarding house.

This is a great book for making predictions and drawing conclusions as well as discussing the power of determination. ( )
  SuzieB1972 | Jul 6, 2015 |
In this picture book, you are taken on a journey with a girl name Mirette and her dedication towards one particular action. Her dedication for becoming a tightrope walker, is enhanced when she is matched with one of the most famous tightrope walkers in the world. She is told time and time again that it is extremely dangerous for her age to participate in such an act. It doesn't matter how many times she is brought down, her determination is shown throughout the entire picture book. This picture book is an excellent representation of how you can do anything that you put your mind to. Children reading this book may not understand the full concept, but will understand determination. I would read this book to a group of second graders because I feel as though their understanding of determination is much more in depth than younger children. ( )
  mbabst | Apr 19, 2015 |
The genre of this book is realistic fiction. (Formal Book Review)
Introduce the book:
"Mirette on the High Wire" is a book about a girl named Mirette, who meets a high-wire walker named Bellini.
Tell about the book, but don't give away the ending!
When Bellini first comes to stay at the inn, Mirette is enchanted by his high-wire walking skills, and begs to be taught. Though Bellini consents, he never sets foot on the wire in front of other people, and Mirette wonders why.
Tell about your favorite part or make a connection:
Like Bellini, sometimes I am afraid to try something because I'm afraid of failing. I have to conquer my fears, just like he did, and try again.
Give a recommendation:
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes Paris and watercolor art. McCully's illustrations are fantastic and make the city look exciting and beautiful.
Write an ending sentence for your review:
This is a book about conquering your fears, but sometimes we need a little help from our friends, don't we? ( )
  athena.j | Apr 14, 2015 |
I loved this book. The illustrations were incredibly and suited the story perfectly. McCully's nod to the artistic style of the time period the story takes place in really enhances the story. Without a doubt she deserved to win the Caldecott Medal.
  JessicaLeupold | Jan 29, 2015 |
In the book, “Mirette On the High Wire”, a little girl finds a man on a tight rope to be very interesting. She attempts to try walking on her own and falls in love with the high wire. I found the illustrations in this book to be absolutely beautiful! This book won the Caldecott medal for the brightly colored oil pastels used to create scenic images of Paris. Another reason why I liked this book was because of the plot. The little girl tried and failed multiple times before she succeeded passing the high wire. The girl continued to do what made her happy even though other people told her she couldn’t cross the high wire. The main idea of this book is with practice makes perfect and to keep trying even if you fail. ( )
  vharsh1 | Dec 3, 2014 |
One hundred years ago in Paris, when theaters and music halls drew traveling players from all over the world, the best place to stay was at the widow Gateau's, a boardinghouse on English Street.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0698114434, Paperback)

Mirette and the "Great Bellini" traverse the Paris skyline on high wire in the climactic scene of this picture book about conquering fear. The two meet at Mirette's mother's boarding house, where Bellini is staying with a troupe of traveling performers. Mirette persuades Bellini to teach her his art, and soon enough the two are performing above the rooftops of Paris. While Mirette gets to step outside her daily routine of peeling potatoes and scrubbing floors, Bellini manages to reaffirm his mastery. The story affords a spunky, down-to-earth role model for readers who like to dream big dreams. It also offers rich, scenic portraits of 19th century Paris. The book won the 1993 Caldecott Medal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:23 -0400)

Mirette learns tightrope walking from Monsieur Bellini, a guest in her mother's boarding house, not knowing that he is a celebrated tightrope artist who has withdrawn from performing because of fear.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,436,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible