Princess Furball by Charlotte Huck

Princess Furball

by Charlotte Huck, Anita Lobel (Illustrator)

34 months - We read this one in all places at an Einstein's while eating lunch. O flipped through it on the way from the library and insisted I read it to her while we ate. A rather long story to read aloud in a restaurant but we both enjoyed it and read it a few more times before returning it. It's Cinderella-esque in nature. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
I enjoyed the book Princess Furball as it had an interesting twist on the classic "Cinderella" story. I thought that the book gave a well-rounded perspective on the fairy tale aspect of the story. I liked the idea of having a princess run away from home and still participate in the basic plot of Cinderella while still being a princess under the Kings ignorance. I also enjoyed that they gave the princess an opportunity to participate in "commoner" chores. As a princess she would not have to delve into such matters, but in order to keep the facade that she was a "commoner", she had to step outside of her normal world into an unknown one. I thought that this story shared a good message to young children that we should always stay true to who we are but be willing to step outside of ourselves and try new things. ( )
  kabdo1 | Apr 6, 2015 |
I came across this book as I was doing my fall purge of my bookshelf. I had forgotten the novel approach to such a classic story. My mother had given me this book when I was younger for Christmas. I really enjoyed the book as it was a different approach. The main theme of the book is that you are the driving force of your own destiny.

After running away to avoid her father marrying her off to an ogre, she stumbles into the kitchen of a castle. I like the characters of the book. For example, I like how the step sisters are not the antagonists of the story. This makes Princess Furball a different kind of Cinderella. She goes off when she is not happy about her arranged marriage. Despite being a wealthy princess, she works in a kitchen and finds ways to come across the prince. I like her because she does not expect things to happen on their own.

I also like the illustrations. They are really detailed, for example, the fur coat that Princess Furball is very detailed; as are the dresses she brings. I also love the kitchen scenes, as they are much more lively than I am used to in most Cinderella depictions. The details aid in the story development, for example depicting animals and small details. A book I consider noteworthy. ( )
  larasimmons2 | Oct 27, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book because it is such a common tale told in a way I've never heard before. Princess Furball happens to find her way into the castle of the prince as a helper in the kitchen. She leaves little trinkets in his food and he discovers her. This would be a great book to share with young children to introduce different cultural affects on the same story as well as the history of a popular tale. ( )
  LindseyB12 | May 7, 2013 |
When a king promises his daughter in marriage to an ogre, she tries to postpone the wedding by requesting four impossible gifts - three unearthly dresses and one fur coat made from the fur of all the animals in the kingdom. But when these gifts are quickly provided, she runs away and becomes a servant in the kitchen of another palace. She attends three balls dressed in her beautiful gowns, and the prince falls in love with her.

Cute little picture book retelling of Cinderella / Donkey Skin. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Mar 21, 2013 |

Charlotte Huckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lobel, AnitaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was a beautiful young Princess whose hair was the color of pure gold.

Once upon a time a cruel King decided to betroth his motherless daughter to an Ogre in exchange for fifty wagons filled with silver. When the Princess learns what her father has done, she is horrified. But she is as clever as she is beautiful. Quickly, the Princess devises a plan to escape and, relying on her own spunk and good sense, ultimately marries the man she chooses for herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:07 -0400)

A princess in a coat of a thousand furs hides her identity from a king who falls in love with her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,845,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible