Princess Furball by Charlotte Huck

Princess Furball

by Charlotte Huck

Other authors: Anita Lobel (Illustrator)

I came across this book as I was doing my fall purge of my bookshelf. I had forgotten the novel approach to such a classic story. My mother had given me this book when I was younger for Christmas. I really enjoyed the book as it was a different approach. The main theme of the book is that you are the driving force of your own destiny.

After running away to avoid her father marrying her off to an ogre, she stumbles into the kitchen of a castle. I like the characters of the book. For example, I like how the step sisters are not the antagonists of the story. This makes Princess Furball a different kind of Cinderella. She goes off when she is not happy about her arranged marriage. Despite being a wealthy princess, she works in a kitchen and finds ways to come across the prince. I like her because she does not expect things to happen on their own.

I also like the illustrations. They are really detailed, for example, the fur coat that Princess Furball is very detailed; as are the dresses she brings. I also love the kitchen scenes, as they are much more lively than I am used to in most Cinderella depictions. The details aid in the story development, for example depicting animals and small details. A book I consider noteworthy. ( )
  larasimmons2 | Oct 27, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book because it is such a common tale told in a way I've never heard before. Princess Furball happens to find her way into the castle of the prince as a helper in the kitchen. She leaves little trinkets in his food and he discovers her. This would be a great book to share with young children to introduce different cultural affects on the same story as well as the history of a popular tale. ( )
  LindseyB12 | May 7, 2013 |
When a king promises his daughter in marriage to an ogre, she tries to postpone the wedding by requesting four impossible gifts - three unearthly dresses and one fur coat made from the fur of all the animals in the kingdom. But when these gifts are quickly provided, she runs away and becomes a servant in the kitchen of another palace. She attends three balls dressed in her beautiful gowns, and the prince falls in love with her.

Cute little picture book retelling of Cinderella / Donkey Skin. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Mar 21, 2013 |
The Princess's father had bequeathed his daughter's hand in marriage to an Ogre in trade of five carts of silver. The princess was angry so she made her father make her three dresses and a coat. The dresses were beautiful and were illustrated very well. The jacket was made of 1000 different animals. But this dead did nothing to gain the girl's freedom from marriage, so she ran away. The princess was found by hunters of another kingdom and put to work as a servant. It was great that there were three balls held at this palace and she had three wonderful dresses to wear. I like that it wasn't the step sisters that were the antagonists. I also like that a slipper was not used in this story. The intersting part was that the princess was hiding and was putting trinkets in the king's soup that she had made. I did not understand this connectionf, other than she really liked him and he her. ( )
  dlow | Jan 20, 2013 |
This a classic spin of Cinderellla. But the little girl whomplaysn"Cinderella" is a princess who was treated badly by her even stepmother. In fact she did not have a stepmother. Her father wanted to arrange her marriage but she did not want to find love that way. She decides to leave her home and run away. She finds another place where she becomes a servant. She finds her way to the royal ball where the prince falls deeply in love with an unknown girl in the kingdom. ( )
  Janee23 | Oct 7, 2012 |

Charlotte Huckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lobel, AnitaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time there was a beautiful young Princess whose hair was the color of pure gold.

Once upon a time a cruel King decided to betroth his motherless daughter to an Ogre in exchange for fifty wagons filled with silver. When the Princess learns what her father has done, she is horrified. But she is as clever as she is beautiful. Quickly, the Princess devises a plan to escape and, relying on her own spunk and good sense, ultimately marries the man she chooses for herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:22 -0400)

A princess in a coat of a thousand furs hides her identity from a king who falls in love with her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,241,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible