Silver Packages by Cynthia Rylant

Silver Packages (edition 1997)

by Cynthia Rylant

Member:scducharme
Title:Silver Packages
Authors:Cynthia Rylant
Info:Scholastic (1997), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Christmas, picture books, personal narratives, responsibility

Silver Packages by Cynthia Rylant

This is another in the long list of books by Cynthia Rylant that everybody would be better off having read. Not your typical Christmas story, this book offers us the story of a giving and kindness and more than anything the concept of appreciating what you have for its own good. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
A heart warming story about giving and giving back. About getting what you need not what you want. And how those two lessons turn a boy into a man who's life choices are evident by those to lessons.
  JudesThree | Feb 25, 2013 |
This is the story of two men: One who repays an emotional debt to a small town in the Appalachian mountains. He was nursed back to health after a car accident there, but the villagers refused his offer of money as repayment. To thank them, he returns every year by train to deliver presents wrapped in silver paper at Christmas time.

The other man: a boy, our narrator, remembers waiting for the train each year, hoping for a toy doctor's kit. But each year, the silver package tossed from the train is something else; some other toy along with some practical item, like socks. As an adult, the boy looks back and realizes the man and his silver packages have taught him something - something about giving back to others.
  scducharme | Dec 5, 2012 |
Reading Level 4.0

This is a great Christmas Story. It isn't just a rhyming Christmas tale, but a story that will touch kids hearts. It is a story about giving and loving. Frankie wanted a doctor kit all the years this Christmas train came and the old man handed out presents. He never got what he wanted but he always got the things he needed liek mittens and socks. When he grew up, he decided to go back where all of his memories were with the Christmas train. He ended up helping a small girl by giving her a bandaid from his doctor kit now that he was a real doctor. This is a great lesson for kids to see that helping others is good, and not always getting what you want isn't always a bad thing. ( )
  Necampos | Nov 16, 2009 |
Based on a real train, in this story by Cynthia Rylant, we learn that "a train comes through Appalachia every year at Christmas time." Years before, a wealthy man had a car accident while driving through the town, and was generously taken care of by the townspeople. They would not accept payment in return for their help, and so he decided to give the children of the town Christmas gifts each year, via a train. One young boy, Frankie, awaits the train in the cold each Christmas, hoping to receive a doctor's kit from the rich man. Each year, he receives a different present, but never the kit he hoped for. Readers see Frankie as a grown man, who moved away to a big city, but continued to think about that Christmas train, and how the man repaid the town for its kindness. So, Frankie decides to move back to Appalachia. He returned to wait for the train on Christmas day, but soon saw a girl trip over her tossed present. Frankie makes sure she is okay, and tells her, "I'm a doctor." I loved this story, from beginning to end. It tells three stories in one book. First, we see the wealthy man that wants to repay the town. Then, we see young Frankie run after the train each year. And finally, we see grown-up Frankie, the doctor, leave the big city, and return to his roots. Illustrator Chris K. Soentpiet's watercolor paintings add so much to the telling of Frankie's story. We see how small and isolated the town his, consisting of scattered houses and a church. As the children wait outside for the train on Christmas, readers can feel the Appalachian cold. We see the children bury their hands in their pockets, raise their shoulders, holding their arms close at their sides, while their teeth chatter away. We see what joy the train brings to them. We see how anxious Frankie is, and how much he hopes for his doctor's kit. And then, that first year, we see the look of disappointment on his face, even though he tries to hide it from his family. Later in his life, when Frankie returns to his hometown, before he tells the little girl that he is a doctor, in the corner of the page, about the size of a quarter, readers will instantly spot Frankie holding a doctor's bag. At that moment, I knew Frankie did the right thing, by returning to his hometown. ( )
  foster7 | May 4, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 053130051X, Hardcover)

In Appalachia each Christmas, a boy named Frankie waits beside the tracks for the Christmas Train, which will bring presents to the children who live in coal towns and hollows. Year after year, Frankie hopes that one particular gift a very special gift will be tossed to him from that train. It is this enduring hope that will guide him to the true meaning of the season. Full color.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:24 -0400)

Every year at Christmas a rich man rides a train through Appalachia and throws gifts to the poor children who are waiting, in order to repay a debt he owes the people who live there.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,822,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible