The Gingerbread Man by Eric A. Kimmel

The Gingerbread Man (edition 1994)

by Eric A. Kimmel, Megan Lloyd (Illustrator)

139None85,734 (3.35)None
Member:AnnaMoody
Title:The Gingerbread Man
Authors:Eric A. Kimmel
Other authors:Megan Lloyd (Illustrator)
Info:Holiday House (P) (1994), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:gingerbread man; fiction; prek-3; winter season; christmas; trickery; farm animals

The Gingerbread Man by Eric A. Kimmel

Summary- The Gingerbread Man is a well known child's story. The story starts out with an older couple baking a gingerbread cookie, when they open the oven door he jumps out and runs through the house and down the path. He first meets a man, then a pig, then a cow, then a horse, they all want him to stop him so they can eat him, but he keeps on running. Then he comes across a fox that seems nice, but the fox secretly wants to eat him too. The fox lures the gingerbread man onto his back so they can cross the river, the fox ends up tossing the gingerbread man into the air and eating him.

Personal Reaction: I remember as a small child I wanted to go visit my nanny and papa, but my mother said no. So I as a five year old child started walking in the direction of their house, but when I came to the intersection I couldn't remember which way to go. An older couple came up beside me and asked me if I was lost and I told them no I was going to my nanny's house. They asked me where I lived and I pointed in the direction of my house, they drove really slow beside me while I walked back home. My mother thanked them and they went on their way. It was a very frightful day for me.

Classroom Extension: 1. I would read the book to the children, then we would each discuss what we saw in the story.
2. I would have the children draw a picture of what they thought the gingerbread man should look like. We might bake a gingerbread man cookie in our little easy bake oven.
  mamacita9 | Feb 18, 2014 |
This is a cute book to read to children where they can all get involved. Children can use prediction in the story. It is told in the same way as the classic story. It is a cute book to read around the holiday season. ( )
  klmontgomery | Sep 26, 2013 |
Classic gingerbread man story. Wonderful illustrations in this book. The differences I did notice is that in this version of the gingerbread man, a dog and a horse are included which is not the case in other gingerbread man book. A must read classic tale! ( )
  Cfmichel | Jan 28, 2013 |
This retelling of the Gingerbread Man looks like a classic retelling. The words are mostly separated from the illustrations by white space on the page but it is not limited to whole page. The illustrations which look drawn and painted run onto other pages and gives great details to the surrounding. The story clearly takes place in the country which is known by the animals and also how the man and woman are dressed. The end of the book does tell the reader that even though the fox did eat the gingerbread man that he is not gone forever. I would definitely recommend this book to be read-aloud in class then possibly make gingerbread men or decorate them. ( )
  AnnaMoody | Nov 23, 2012 |
I loved the story of "The Gingerbread Man" when I was younger. Megan Lloyd did a great job re-telling the story and adding great color to the illustrations. ( )
  sammarocco | Nov 15, 2012 |

Eric A. Kimmelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lloyd, MeganIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0823411370, Paperback)

Run, run, as fast as you can and catch this version of the gingerbread man! Eric A. Kimmel is an education professor who has become one of the most respected retellers of traditional folk tales in the United States. In addition to The Gingerbread Man, his successes include the series of Anansi folk tales and Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins, a Caldecott Honor Book. In this wonderful new take on the never-stale gingerbread man story, the cookie in question (with three peppermint buttons) gets eaten by the wily fox, which is sometimes upsetting to younger preschoolers. Happily, the last page shows a new cookie sheet lined with gingerbread men (and women), and the clever rhyme suggests that the gingerbread man bounces back from his unfortunate plight. "For gingerbread men return, it's said, / When someone bakes some gingerbread." Seasoned illustrator Megan Lloyd's flat and funny gingerbread man bounces along as cheerfully as the text. Cookie lovers everywhere will relish this old-fashioned tale with a happy ending--especially if you bake a batch of gingerbread people afterwards! (Ages 3 to 6)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:02 -0400)

A freshly baked gingerbread man escapes when he is taken out of the oven and eludes a number of animals, until he meets a clever fox.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible