Sackett (The Sacketts, No 4) by Louis…

Sackett (The Sacketts, No 4) (original 1961; edition 1981)

by Louis L'Amour

Member:edspicer
Title:Sackett (The Sacketts, No 4)
Authors:Louis L'Amour
Info:Bantam (1981), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 176 pages

Sackett by Louis L'Amour (1961)

I must admit I’m not a big Western reader. I think the American West is an amazing chapter in our history: unique in the world, fascinating in its tough ideals, and interesting in the squabbles between the American Indian and the white American cowboy.

The last Louis L ’Amour book I read was “Haunted Mesa” which I enjoyed because of its science fiction elements. But I digress!

I’ve heard of the Sackett novels of course but never read them. Picked this copy up at a half-price store and was certainly taken in by William Tell Sackett.

I loved how the author puts in the concepts of honor, the importance of literacy and the power of gold. Tell had killed a man and that man’s family is out to get him. Tell also gets himself in trouble in Vegas, with more greedy men on his trail.

Despite all this, Tell rises above the craven need for attention and for money. He discovers his gold mine, dating from the Spanish conquest, and falls in love with a woman survivor up near the mine, whose family owned the map!

The author paints a picture of a rough, American West, how nature abides man to a point, and how love conquers all. Yes, there are parts of the tale that are a bit cheesy and melodramatic, but I enjoyed it regardless.

Highly recommended tale of the Old West. Gotta pick me up some more Sacketts!

1 vote jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
Another excellent story by L'Amour about the type of men who settled the west. After the Civil War he drifted west working anything from cattle drives to riverboats. After killing a man who tried to kill him he decided it was time to try to improve his life. On his way down to New Mexico to visit his brothers (see Daybreakers) he stumbles on a rich vein of gold. After talking to his brothers he and Cap Rountree get the supplies together to mine that gold. With gold being one of those things that tends to draw unwanted attention they ran into trouble almost from the beginning. Also in the valley where he found the gold he found a young woman whose grandfather had found the gold first. He rescued her and faced the trouble that found them. Tell is another one of L'Amour's quiet heroes. He doesn't go looking for trouble but he doesn't run from it either. He has a strict code of honor and believes in the difference between right and wrong. One of the things he was determined to do was to improve his reading which he did by reading a book about law which gave him a lot to think about. I also liked the way that he tried to resolve issues without shooting if it was possible. Besides the intense drama of some of the events, there were also some funny times. I really enjoyed the shaving scene at the beginning and also his dealing with the interlopers of the town near the end. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Mar 16, 2013 |
Older brother to Orrin and Tyrel Sackett, Tell's beginning to think he may never measure up to his younger brothers. Discovering gold and starting a town seems like a good start - but gold comes with a heap of trouble all its own...

Short on pages and long on description, but as readable as any of L'Amour's Sackett novels. ( )
  SunnySD | Dec 14, 2012 |
There’s lots of action and adventure like mining for gold, and gun duals. I read this book because I really like westerns.
  edspicer | Nov 20, 2012 |
I read this book for a senior seminar on Western Literature. It was good to read the stereotypes and mythology of the West, but my goodness, this was terrible. Poorly written, ideologically offensive, misogynistic, anachronistic historical fiction. I'm desperately hoping the West has something else to show for itself. ( )
1 vote avilas | Jan 10, 2012 |
To Mamu
It wasn't as if he hadn't been warned.

William Tell Sackett had followed a differnt path from his younger brothers, but his name, like theirs, was spoke with respect and just a little fear. Where Orrin had brought law and order from New Mexico o the plains of Montana, backed up by the gunfighting talents of hit brother Tye, Tell Sackett's destiny drew hom to Texas after he had to kill a man. There, in the high, lonesome country, he came upon a vein of pure gold. All he'd wanted was enough to buy a ranch, but he soon learned that Gold had ways of its own with men.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553276840, Mass Market Paperback)

In Sackett, Louis L’Amour introduces readers to a wandering man with a desire to settle down and build a good life.

Hard circumstances have made William Tell Sackett a drifter, but now he hungers for a place he can’t name yet knows he has to find. South of the Tetons he comes upon a ghost of a trail that leads him through a keyhole pass into a lonely, alien, yet beautiful valley—a valley that holds a fortune in gold.

Then he finds an even greater treasure: beautiful Ange Kerry, a courageous and resourceful woman. Yet the harsh ways it takes to preserve his claim and his life could be the one thing that drives Ange away forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:36 -0400)

Hard circumstances had made William Tell Sackett a drifter, but now he hungered for a place he couldn't name yet knew he had to find. South of the Tetons he came upon a ghost of a trail that led him through a keyhole pass into a lonely, alien, yet beautiful valley--that held a fortune in gold. Then he found an even greater treasure: beautiful Ange Kerry, a courageous and resourceful woman. But the harsh ways it takes to preserve his claim and his life could be the one thing that drives Ange away forever.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,964,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible