Three Questions : based on a story by Leo…

Three Questions : based on a story by Leo Tolstoy

by Jon J. Muth

The pictures are gorgeous. I fundamentally disagree with the message of the text and am not convinced by this presentation of it. Sorry.

edit - after enjoying Zen Ties a *lot* I want to give Muth's other works another try, especially this one.

edit the second - re-read. I still disagree with the implication that that one doesn't need to reach out or plan ahead, that living in the moment is sufficient. But, unto itself, the moral of the Now is important, and it is also true that fretting is fruitless. So, a re-read gave me more insight. I also read more works of eastern philosophy between reads of this, and that probably helped. A companion with whom to discuss this would help me appreciate it more, too, I'm sure.

So, bottom line, I actually bumped the rating of this two stars, and I do recommend it to people who are ready to hear the message, especially if they have some sort of foundation, scaffold, or support to help them do so. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Based on story by Leo Tolstoy. Story in which Nikolai wants the answer to three questions in order to be a good person: 1) When is the best time to do things? 2) Who is the most important one? 3) What is the right thing to do?

His friends give him several different perspectives, all of which seem unsatisfactory to Nikolai, who then seeks out the wisdom of the turtle, Leo, who has lived a long time. Through a series of events in which Nikolai helps the turtle and an injured panda and her baby, Leo helps Nikolai understand that the most important time is now, the most important person is the one you're with, and do good for those who are next to you.

Great conversation starter about questioning and priorities in life. I don't necessarily agree with the final answer, but this book has the potential to generate good conversation and thought provoking questions and many perspectives. ( )
  zsvandyk | Mar 2, 2015 |
Sometimes, you're right where you need to be ( )
  jrsearcher | Feb 12, 2015 |
The main idea of this book is to don’t worry about the future and live in the present. I liked this book for two reasons. First, the water colored illustrations of the book were very appealing and helped me visualize the story easily. The illustrations where it was raining and Nikolai had to help the panda were really cool! Lastly, I liked how the plot was setup. Nikolai asked his friends to help him, but were not much of help and Nikolai found his own answers with the help of Leo. ( )
  moaks1 | Feb 9, 2015 |
Nicoli is struggling with 3 simple questions. When is the best time to do things? What is the right thing to do? Who is the most important one? The author has him go through a series of adventures and problems until he finds the answers. I enjoyed how the author had the boy figure out the answers for himself. This book shows many great lessons and was easy to read. The book was also interesting and the pictures were great. I think young readers would really enjoy it. I loved the lesson it taught. Nicoli realized at the end there is only one important time and it is now. The important one is the one you are with and the important thing is to do good by the one standing by your side. ( )
  pnieme1 | Feb 9, 2015 |

Is an adaptation of

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0439199964, Hardcover)

Nikolai is a boy who believes that if he can find the answers to his three questions, he will always know how to be a good person. His friends--a heron, a monkey, and a dog--try to help, but to no avail, so he asks Leo, the wise old turtle. "When is the best time to do things? Who is the most important one? What is the right thing to do?" Leo doesn't answer directly, but by the end of Nikolai's visit, the boy has discovered the answers himself.

Award-winning illustrator Jon J Muth's lovely watercolors are the most appealing aspect of this book about compassion and living in the moment. The simple Zen-based profundity of the boy's philosophical exploration may escape young readers, but they will enjoy the tale of a child who, in doing good deeds (for a panda and her baby, no less!), finds inner peace. Muth based his story on a short story of the same title by Leo Tolstoy. (Ages 5 to 9) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:43 -0400)

Nikolai asks his animal friends to help him answer three important questions: "When is the best time to do things?" "Who is the most important?" and "What is the right thing to do?"

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,571,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible