Eerie by C. M. McCoy

Eerie

by C. M. McCoy

*The author has kindly given me an eBook copy of Eerie in exchange for an honest review, but that does not in any way affect my rating for the book.*

Hailey, our heroine is likable enough. She's quiet and bookish, but she's also very feisty and brave.
The premise of the book is interesting: Holly, Hailey's sister goes missing, but Hailey believes she's still alive. Our heroine decides to go to a paranormal university in Alaska, Bear Towne University. In her search for answers to her sister's disappearance, she's accompanied by a family friend called Fin (aka the charming bartender/ R.A.).

I love BTU because it's really interesting. It's also very dangerous (yetis, ghosts, otherworldly beings that are almost god-like, etc). However, I'm not that sold on Asher, the other member of our love triangle (so that's Fin, Hailey, and Asher).

I'm leaning more towards Fin, but I hope whoever Hailey chooses ends up treating her well, because both guys also have some issues that they need to work on. Asher is, well, the concept of feelings is very hard for him to deal with (he's an Envoy, and they are supposed to be emotionless) and even Hailey admits that he is creepy. Fin is charming, but he's also very, ah, flirty.

I like Uncle Pix and Hailey's other uncles as well, although we don't get to see them that much in the book. But Giselle, her roommate from Hell, makes up for it. Hailey and Giselle's friendship reminds me of Cath and Wren, two characters from another book, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.

The book introduced some interesting concepts, and I loved the plot twists near the end. AND THAT CLIFFHANGER ENDING!

Check out Eerie if you're into romance, some jump scares, a bit of gore, and lots of plot twists. I can't wait for the next book! :)

Thank you, C.M. McCoy, for giving me a copy of your exciting book! ( )
  hon_no_mushi | Jul 23, 2017 |
Eerie is such a great story and C.M. McCoy is a great writer. Just the synopsis alone had me rubbing my hands and wanting to get a hold of this book, and it didn't disappoint. C.M. has created a world I cant wait to read again and again. ( )
1 vote Belinda.Clemons | May 31, 2017 |
This book captured me from the very start! I fell in love with all of the characters....I fell in love with the story plot...i fell in love with EVERYTHING about Eerie!! And I absolutely love how you really get a feel for what these characters are going through during the story! I also enjoyed the little Irish additions (I'm Irish so I loved that!) :-) I am so excited to read more from C.M. McCoy!!! Fantastic read!! I love how it was different...not the same ol story!! It was simply FANTASTIC! Amazingly well written...kept me engaged the entire time!! I didnt want it to end!! ( )
1 vote erin8426 | May 24, 2017 |
This review was written by the author.
When I saw this book was featured in PEOPLE Magazine and on INSIDE EDITION, I had to check it out.

EERIE by CM McCoy is a young adult fantasy with romance and the first book in a series, which can be read as a stand-alone. The blurb and reviews promised I'd find a quirky/dark story with unexpected humor and memorable characters and IT DELIVERED :-)

Hailey Hartley suffers a devastating personal loss during her senior year of high school--her big sister is abducted--only to find that the supposedly mythical creatures called Envoys are to blame. Hailey follows an Envoy named Asher to a Paranormal University in Alaska, where Asher promises to protect her from other Envoys who really really want her dead. Things become more and more uncomfortable for Hailey as she struggles to survive her supernatural classes, avoid the campus's paranormal perils, and get along with her roommate from Hell. When she accidentally ignites Asher's jealously by spending time with another guy, Fin, things come to a head and Hailey hopes this one creature that can protect her from the other Envoys doesn't end up killing her himself.

The world-building in EERIE and the sheer imagination involved in creating this new mythology are astounding. There are so many new creatures and characters I'll never forget, like Hailey's grumpy "loner" roommate, who just wants to be left alone but optimist Hailey can't take a hint. And the villain, Cobon, who's so creepy and gentlemanly at the same time and who's so unapologetically sure of his "got to break a few eggs to make an omelet" attitude. The heroes are beautifully flawed, and I honestly didn't know who to root for until the very heart-breaking end. This book is a perfectly paced, with great moments of edge-of-your-seat suspense coupled with the slow burn of unrequited love. Even though the book over 400 pages long, I read the whole thing in one night. I only wish it were LONGER so that I didn't have to wait for the sequel to get more of the story. There is no happily ever after ending in this fairy tale, but the main story line is tied up wonderfully with a teaser chapter at the end to let us know more is coming (and hopefully soon).

Fans of Moning's DARKFEVER will like the adventure and supernatural suspense of EERIE. The romance in EERIE will appeal to fans of TWILIGHT, and fans of HARRY POTTER will love the unique world and new mythology in a remote school setting.

Skim factor: 0
Violence: little bit
Romance: sweet, kissing. No sex.
Language: mild. One f-word, and a couple dammits and shits.

5 stars - I'll be reading this again and gifting it to friends. ( )
1 vote cmmccoy | May 24, 2017 |
This review is based on a digital copy I received from Author C.M. McCoy. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating.

Captivating, dark and spectacular! This is an amazing story and once I started reading it I could not get enough! I just want to gush about this story but I do not want to spoil it for anyone. So, I will try to rein it in but I am bursting at the seams with excitement about this book.

The beginning of the book started out like a typical young adult story. Two sisters who survived a life-altering trauma and now they only have each other and a gruff Uncle. There was good backstory development on the relationship between Holly and Hailey. You really feel the connection between them.

The fantasy part of this book is so entertaining! I loved it. There is so much coolness going on at the college that I can’t possibly contain it all in a short review. It was reminiscent of Hogwarts but it really has its own flavor. These are young adults attending college and it is written in that tone.

I loved that you learn about the characters through the story not just some info dump at their introduction. I love/hate how hard things were on Hailey when she started college. I think it made me like her more to see her struggle but at the same time all the situations she endured were frustrating at times.

There is quite the love triangle happening in this book. A looove triangle!! I typically loathe love triangles and they usually get a mega-eye roll from me but the way that the Author built up this triangle I was completely in. I know this may be a turn off to some of you but it did remind me of the love triangle in Twilight between Bella, Edward, and Jacob. In this story, there is Hailey, Asher and Fin.

Asher a creature from the Aether, known as an Envoy, had developed feelings for Hailey which also happens to be a reason for his termination among his brethren as they consider feelings a disease. The way the relationship was built between Asher and Hailey…..oh my gosh I was so on team Asher. Which is so weird because normally I hate extremely unhealthy, jealous characters but I just loved Asher’s character so much and being that he was new to these feelings he was developing it was like watching him grow and mature throughout this book.

Fin, for the love. He is a womanizing punk and I don’t care how old he is and how he is painted to be a victim of his situation, just move over Fin…Asher has got this! I hated that Hailey saw anything in this guy. Sheesh he is Mr. Popularity and she being the shy introvert wanted in. Sigh, then I think about his suffering and how he wanted the right things and I feel bad for him, but then there is Asher and suddenly I am back on team Asher. Ha ha ha, as you can see I am mixed on this just a bit but that is what makes it soooo good.

Some examples of what type of characters to expect in this book: Giselle is a banshee who is unable to wail, Tomas is a hairstyling poltergeist, Mrs. Spitz the librarian who also happens to be a clairvoyant zombie, ferocious Yetis, carnivorous trees, and many other interesting spooky characters. Giselle is a great supporting character and as far as secondary characters go she is my favorite. Of course, I did not like her in the beginning because she acted like an absolute hag to Hailey but at least she was upfront with her feelings.

Such a wonderful novel! There has to be another installment coming because the way this one was left had me all sorts of heart-broken and I am dying to have a conclusion. Well a conclusion that I like better, ha ha ha. Get this book, read this book! You will not be sorry!

*Thank you to Author C.M. McCoy for this complimentary copy of Eerie* ( )
2 vote TheGenreMinx | Dec 23, 2016 |

C. M. McCoy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,812,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible