The Sackett Brand by Louis L'Amour
619923,552 (3.96)13

Tell Sackett is hunted by the hired guns of a cattle baron who is trying to cover up a crime. Can Tell survive until other Sacketts arrive to join the fray? Or will he handle them all on his own?

Good entry in the Sackett series, in which we also meet other members of the author's fictional family. ( )
  fuzzi | May 3, 2019 |

Genre: Western
Pages: 160
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

William Tell Sackett and his new bride Ange are making a start of it. With the gold they had, they bought enough supplies to start a new life in the West with cattle. When Tell goes ahead to scout, he's shot and falls into a river. He escapes those hunting him and makes his way back to where Ange had the wagons. There is no trace of the wagons OR Ange.

Tell survives and hunts down information after finding Ange's body. A rancher, co-owner of the Lazy A, is responsible. Nobody knows that he killed Ange and he must kill Tell to keep his secret, for NO one will work for a man who kills a woman. Said rancher hires a large group of gunfighters under the claim that Tell tried to kill him.

The word goes out that a Sackett is being hunted. Other Sacketts come a running and Tell only has to survive until they arrive. Of course, he has to survive 40 gunfighters who are all hunting him.

He survives and the other Sacketts take down the gunfighters. The book ends with Tell surrounded by his family.

My Thoughts:

Gotta admit, it took me by surprise when L'Amour had Ange killed. I did not see it coming, especially so early. It really affected how I read the rest of the book. While it gave Tell a real motive to survive and for revenge, L'Amour's writing of Ange's death probably affected me more than it did Tell.

This was a very quick read and it was even quicker given certain stock phrases and ideas that L'Amour uses in almost every book of his. You don't read these for originality at all but to see the Right prevail and the Wrong fail. Truth and Justice. Sometimes you need to read that those Ideals actually do exist and that there are men willing to bear the burden of being responsible for them. I read this in about 2-3hrs, so it was quick.

There just isn't much else to say. These reviews of the Sacketts are more about getting the synopsis so when I look back in 10-15 years I don't have to feel like I need to read these again.

★★★☆☆ ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Feb 24, 2018 |
Tell Sackett has finally married Ange, his own true love. They are heading west to start their own life together. However, Tell is nearly murdered and returns to find his wife gone without a trace.

I hated some of the story, because I wanted a happy ending for Tell and Ange and that wasn't to be (she is found murdered -- this happens early in the book, so I'm not giving away anything). I loved other parts of it. I think the message is that with family, you are never really alone.

If you like Westerns and haven't read this one, what are you waiting for? Add it to your to-read list pronto. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jul 1, 2017 |
One of my favorite of the many Louis L'Amour books that I own, "The Sackett Brand" is another classic from the prolific author. I call this story a favorite because of the many different Sacketts that are included. Other of the Sackett stories refer to the fact that when one Sackett needs help, they all come running -- and different Sackett family members are referred to in many other books, but this is the book that actually names the different characters and where they are from.

Most of L'Amour's books are what I consider a quick read as escape literature. There is not a lot of depth to them. Though L'Amour did his research and includes factual settings as much as possible, still these are meant to be stories, not history books. This story is a classic L'Amour book. ( )
  Bandings | Aug 8, 2015 |
If Tell Sackett hadn’t moved when he did, he’d be a dead man. For as he turned, a bullet grazed his head, knocking him off balance and causing him to plummet down a cliff side. When he finally regained consciousness, his brain is fuzzy, but his thoughts are clear – who just shot at him? And why?

Apparently, whoever aimed at Sackett wasn’t taking a pot shot. He was purposely trying to kill him. Sackett can’t figure out why – he has no enemies in this part of the country, and there’s no reason… Ange!

When Sackett drags himself back to his campsite, he finds everything he had once called his own vanished – wagon, mules… and wife. They’ve disappeared without a trace! But traces or no, Sackett is determined to track down his would-be murderer and recover what is rightfully his!

Discussion.

Okay, a quick revelation of everything that happened after my synopsis (not quite everything, you understand…). Sackett quickly discovers his wagon, burned to a crisp with all of his belongings. All of his mules have been slaughtered and dumped over a cliff. Sackett learns that the reason for this destruction is his wife – while Sackett was out scouting, a man rode into camp and, when Ange repudiated his advances, this man murdered her. He immediately realized the consequence of what he had done, and sets out to remove all traces of his evil deed. This means that he must also kill Sackett, and most of the novel recounts the man’s desperate hunt for Sackett.

There was one thing that I loved about The Sackett Brand. And that was, as the news spread across the country that Tell Sackett was in trouble, Sacketts began pouring in from all across the country to help out their fellow family member. I especially liked this because often, westerns depict a main character who is cut from all family ties – he rides for himself and is uncomfortable in a family setting. But this story was all about family – the reason Sackett is in so much trouble is because he wishes to bring those who murdered his wife to justice. In the end, it is his family that rescues him. It was kinda sweet the way they all showed up with their six-guns. :’(

And then there’s the revenge factor. Immediately after being attacked, Sackett decides that he will find the person who arranged it and will make him pay. Once he discovers that his wife has been murdered, this resolve is doubled and reinforced with venom.

Because Ange’s murderer wishes to destroy all traces of his crime, he employs his band of hired hands to murder Sackett, too. They try to kill him on numerous occasions, but Sackett usually succeeds in killing them first. I felt that he could have had a degree or two more respect for the lives that he took (many of those chasing him had been deceived into thinking that Sackett deserved to die), but I also understood that had he hesitated on the draw, they would have killed him without hesitation.

Conclusion. Due to the familial theme, I enjoyed The Sackett Brand. However, it is not what I would call ‘edifying’ reading.

Visit The Blithering Bookster to read more reviews!

www.blitheringbookster.com ( )
  LauraKathryn | Apr 24, 2013 |
To Jud and Red, At Tucumcari and Santa Rosa, A Long Time Ago . . . .
Nobody could rightly say any of us Sacketts were what you'd call superstitious.
-He mentioned a Sackett in trouble. Well, that was Orlando Sackett and his saddle partner, the Tinker.

--What's that mean?

--It means the Lazy A better hire more men. Forty's not going to be anywhere near enough.

In The Sackett Brand, Louis L’Amour spins the story of a courageous man who must face overwhelming odds to track down a killer.

Tell Sackett and his bride, Ange, came to Arizona to build a home and start a family. But on Black Mesa something goes terribly wrong. Tell is ambushed and badly injured. When he finally manages to drag himself back to where he left Ange, she is gone. Desperate, cold, hungry, and with no way to defend himself, Tell is stalked like a wounded animal. Hiding from his attackers, his rage and frustration mounting, he tries to figure out who the men are, why they are trying to kill him, and what has happened to his wife. Discovering the truth will be risky. And when he finally does, it will be their turn to run.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:27 -0400)

Relates the adventures of members of the Sackett family in the frontier West.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,737,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible