Angels Along the Way by Della Reese

Angels Along the Way (1997)

by Della Reese

61None194,696 (2.75)None

No reviews
This book is dedicated from the "Christ on me" to all the angels along the way, those mentioned and those not mentioned but by no stretch of the imagination forgotten; to my darling daughter and my adorable on; and to this wonderful guardian angel that the Father has sent me to spend the rest of my life with, my magnificent husband, who makes the waking of each day a pleasurable anticipation of the joy and love that will fill it.
The first thing I really remember is being about three years old and walking down our street, Vernor Highway, where I lived and grew up on the East Side of Detroit.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399143424, Hardcover)

Star of the hit television series Touched by an Angel, Della Reese has had a long career in entertainment. Like many black artists, she began in church, singing in the choir in her hometown of Detroit. At age 13, she was accomplished enough to go on tour with the great Mahalia Jackson, one of the "angels" Reese credits with helping her along the way. Jackson, she writes, gave her "a foundation in the art of communication.... It's about filling yourself with the spirit of whatever you're singing about, of really going to that place and letting listeners go with you." Other angels include the comedian who taught her the elements of comedy and helped her hone her act, and the waitress who encouraged her to sing in a nightclub, years after Reese's mother had died and Reese had left home to live on her own. The road to stardom wasn't entirely smooth--she tells of dishonest managers and lawyers and troubles with the IRS--but Reese makes clear that she has always been sustained by her faith.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:34 -0400)

Angels Along the Way is the story of a remarkable woman whose life has been filled with surprises. Born in the Detroit slums, Deloreese Patricia Early landed her first professional tour at thirteen, singing backup for Mahalia Jackson. By 1953 she was in New York with a recording contract, racking up hits including "In the Still of the Night" and "Don't You Know." The first woman to host The Tonight Show, Della also became the first black woman to host her own nationally syndicated television talk show. Through it all, Della has dealt with personal tragedy, such as the early death of her mother, which caused her to leave college in order to take care of her father. One night, while performing on The Tonight Show, Della suffered a potentially fatal aneurysm. When her doctor told her she had just days to live, she found a new surgeon, who trusted in the Almighty as she did.In 1983, Della's "partner" above inspired her to become a minister. She has served ever since as the chief leader of a ministry she founded in a Los Angeles community, preaching to a standing-room-only crowd every Sunday.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,095,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible