Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 1 by Yuki…

Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 1

by Yuki Midorikawa

Series: Natsume's Book of Friends (1)

195660,388 (4.17)4
    Inuyasha, Volume 1 by Rumiko Takahashi (ladyjanegray)
    ladyjanegray: It's also about yokai, although from a differing viewpoint.
    Mushishi, Volume 1 by Yuki Urushibara (questionablepotato)

This is one of my favorite manga. It definitely sits in my top ten. I've reread it so many times that I know it by heart and it makes me want more. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
Really good! The ending went off topic for a short time but the rest was excellent. Ready to read book 2 ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
This series is, for the most part, pretty episodic, so I'll try to briefly mention which stories are covered in each volume. In this volume, Natsume learns about the Book of Friends and gains Nyanko-sensei as a bodyguard. Many years ago, Natsume's grandmother traveled from place to place, dominating yokai (spirits and supernatural beings) and forcing them to write their names in her Book of Friends. As the owner of the Book of Friends, Natsume could opt to control those yokai, but instead he decides to give as many names back as he can. In the second chapter, he helps a Dew God get his name back and sees that there can be good/bittersweet relationships between yokai and humans. In the third chapter, he learns that someone has been exorcising yokai in a particular area, and he discovers that one of his classmates can probably see yokai too. In the fourth chapter, Natsume helps a swallow yokai see the human who befriended her one last time before she fades away.

Even though I've seen the anime multiple times, and nothing in this volume was a surprise to me, it still made me cry. Natsume says he doesn't care for yokai and maybe sees giving them their names back as a way of cutting them out of his life. However, in reality, his efforts seem to increase his empathy for them. Natsume's a kind kid, and I think Nyanko-sensei senses that too.

The artwork is nice, but has a very wispy feel to it, different enough from the anime that it took me some time to get used to it.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Dec 5, 2015 |
Sweet, honorable guy meets trickster, man-eating spirit trapped in a porcelain cat. Then discovers that his grandma was something of a mean girl who liked to trap gullible spirits, creepy and nice. Delightfully weird and entertaining. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |

Yuki Midorikawaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Olsen, LillianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where is she?
Since I was little, I've seen weird THINGS. They're creatures called Youkai. I don't see them because I WANT to. - Natsume
I SAID I'M NOT A KITTY! - Nyanko-sensei
Madara, one day... you too will understand. - Tsuyukami
Whether human or youkai... being alone makes you lonely. The first step is always the most difficult. - Natsume

Takashi Natsume can see the spirits and demons that hide from the rest of humanity. He has always been set apart from other people because of his gift, drifting from relative to relative, never fitting in. Now he is a troubled high school student who has come to live in the small town where his grandmother grew up. And there he discovers that he has inherited more than just the Sight from the mysterious Reiko.

"When Reiko was Takashi's age, she bound the names of demons and spirits in her Book of Friends, enslaving them to her capricious whim. Now Takashi is the owner of the book, and the creatures will do anything to get their names back" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible