A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen…

by Carol K. Mack, Dinah Mack

Member:LisaWharton
Title:A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits
Authors:Carol K. Mack
Other authors:Dinah Mack
Info:Holt Paperbacks (1999), Edition: Owl Books ed, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Research, Your library
Rating:**
Tags:demons, fairies, fallen angels, research

A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits by Carol K. Mack

Recently added byishamaeli, kayleem, Tsundoku91, cranna, sactt13, Rileyjames7, Burkshelf, Semjaza418, private library

Have had this for years. Primarily use it as reference material for quick synopses of supernatural entities, although I've read a lot of these entries are very over-simplified and sometimes conflicting. Still a fun little tome for snapshots of the strange and dark entities of the worlds oldest myths. ( )
  michaeladams1979 | Oct 11, 2018 |
I got this book hoping for the sort of folklore exploration in the Time-Life Enchanted World series, or William Butler Yeats's "Irish Fairy & Folk Tales", but I was sorely disappointed. I found the format of this book much too repetitive, and it seemed the authors were so determined to get a lot of material in that they didn't cover any of it in much detail. In addition, it could have used better editing. The tiny section on mermaids presents selkie lore as mermaid lore; pretty much an unforgivable mistake as far as I was concerned. I admit I didn't even finish the book. I gave up on it after I read a description of an attack that included the phrase "whammed him with her mace". "Whammed"? I wasn't aware I was reading a comic book. ( )
1 vote hrtsmom | May 20, 2013 |
A wonderful book for that person who is interested in subversive spirits from all parts of world - one part mythology, one part field guide, and one part story - this book has everything for a person interested in the topics of insidious supernatural creatures. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Mar 15, 2013 |
Extremely parochial and does a disservice to mysticism, Christianity and other religions. Poor ( )
  Archonstone | Feb 8, 2011 |
The Field Guide is a decent primer for anyone wanting an overview of various figures of myth and folklore. The book is written in a style similar to Max Brooks's "The Zombie Survival Guide," in that it purports to be an actual guide for such creatures. And while it may be entertaining for a few pages, this kind of tongue-in-cheek treatment diminishes the depth of information that the book offers.

I would have liked to see deeper information about the mythology behind the creatures, the tales that they come from, etc. But for what it is, the book was pretty decent. Several of the entries also came with interesting illustrations of historic woodcuts, which was a nice touch.

Overall it was a decent read, and it went by fairly fast. It has some interesting information, but at the same time, the book isn't for the serious student of mythology. ( )
1 vote WillyMammoth | Nov 7, 2010 |

Mack, Carol K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mack, Dinahmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 080506270X, Paperback)

The Macks divert our gaze from our contemporary red-faced, cloven-hoofed misrepresentation of demons to remind us of the ancient roles demons were originally assigned to play. From the Tommyknockers of North American mountain mines to the South African Mbulu that waits in the river for lone travelers, A Field Guide to Demons classifies these creatures by their domains--water, mountain, forest--rather than in alphabetical or cultural order, dishing out antique and contemporary lore on these most misunderstood of spirits. A Field Guide to Demons melds folklore and mythology; maintains a surprisingly evenhanded view of demons; and reveals their role as the necessary challenger to established order, the antagonist--without which there could be no hero--and the darkness through which goodness shines brightest. --Brian Patterson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:35 -0400)

Did you know the Mbulu of South Africa has a razor sharp tail with a mind of its own? Or that the Kuru-Pira of Brazil has eyes that glow like embers, and fangs ripping from its mouth? In this updated edition ofA Field Guide to Demons, Carol and Dinah Mack bring to life some of the most horrific and fascinating creatures ever described in mythology and legend. With a deft pen and global perspective, the Macks profile over ninety bogies including: mermaids, ghouls, vampires, kelpies, werewolves, and more. Readers will delight in exploring the origin, characteristics, and cultural significance of each creature. Organized by ?habitat,? this book will entertain readers of all ages, while shedding light on religious and cultural ideals from around the world. With vivid details and highly researched entries,A Field Guide to Demonsis a must have for academics, writers, students, and anyone interested in mythology or the occult.… (more)

Arcade Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Arcade Publishing.

Editions: 1611451000, 1611453666

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,343,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible