Handtalk Birthday: A Number & Story Book in…

Handtalk Birthday: A Number & Story Book in Sign Language

by Remy Charlip; Mary Beth; George Ancona

This book tells the story of a family throwing their friend Marybeth a birthday party all in sign language. Marybeth wakes up and is surprised with a party and several presents. She continues to use signs and guess whats in each wrapped gift. The book then goes over counting in sign language while trying to guess her age. I found this to be a great childrens book about sign language. With sign language being such a visual form of communication I thought it was interesting the way in which the author and illustrator were able to depict the signs. I also thought it was a very positive perspective on being deaf as a disability. All of the characters and interactions were very typical and happy just as they would be at any other birthday party. Overall I think this would be great book to read to students in order to introduce sign language and to show them that it does not hinder other peoples communication skills. ( )
  cejones4 | Mar 30, 2017 |
This book is a compilation of sign language pictures and their definitions. I had a hard time gaining anything from this book simply because there was no storyline. However, I will say that I think the book would be a fun lesson to do with students if we were covering sign language. It's also a great book to use when learning about Exceptionalities or differences. For isntance, if we were talking about hearing impairments, this would be an interesting book to use to show the way people with hearing impairments communicate. ( )
  cbuquet5 | Mar 17, 2016 |
This is a book that uses real photgraphy to capture ASL in motion through a number and storybook. This book is about a woman who is celebrating her birthday with friends. They give her gifts and sing her happy birthday! I found this book kind of silly and believe there may be way better books out there that can accomplish the same thing. ( )
  smdorr | Nov 16, 2012 |
Mary Beth is having friends over for her birthday. She is deaf and all of her friends know sign language. Her friends brought her gifts and she guesses what they are in sign language. I would love to learn sign language. I believe that everyone should be able to communicate with the rest of the world. ( )
  mburgess | Nov 1, 2012 |
A woman is awakened by people at her door; they are there to surprise her with a birthday party. Each scene is expressed in sign language.

The book would be useful for children to be exposed to the book's context of sign language. ( )
  Jill.Barrington | Oct 5, 2011 |

Words and sign language depict friends helping a deaf woman celebrate her birthday.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:38 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,012,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible