The Apple Tart of Hope by Sarah Moore…

The Apple Tart of Hope

by Sarah Moore Fitzgerald

This is the sweet story of best friends Oscar and Meg who grew up together as best friends living next door. It is how Meg left the area for a while, and how things changed for both of them, resulting in Oscar allegedly killing himself. However, things are not always what they seem, and having hope is something we should never give up on, no matter how dire the situation seems. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Apr 23, 2017 |
Quite a sweet little tale about Oscar, Meg and Paloma and the damage that can be caused by a narcissistic and malicious individual who creates trouble just for the sake of it. I found the writing rather old-fashioned and sentimental and didn't really feel that I had a lot of insight into the characters. I found myself skipping - never a good sign. A bit meh. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
A novel with a little magic, The Apple Tart of Hope is exactly that--a story of hope.

Oscar Dunleavy has a magical ability: he knows when someone is hopeless, and he makes an apple tart returns hope. He, however, is presumed dead after disappearing; his bike and shoes have been recovered from the ocean, but his body has not been found yet. Meg, his best friend, has been in Australia with her parents on a research trip that is to last for six months. As soon as her family learns of Oscar’s presumed death, they immediately return to Ireland. Meg is so confused. How could Oscar consider suicide. He wouldn’t because he’s loved by everyone. Only Stevie, Oscar’s brother, believes that Oscar is still alive and asks Meg to help him.

Meg finds a different school and hometown. Everyone thinks Oscar was weird and had problems, which no one thought when she left. During the memorial service, his best friend is announced as someone who plans on speaking. Meg wonders why no one told her and prepares herself to speak when another girl gets up. It’s the girl who rented Meg’s house with her mother and has been talking to Oscar through their windows as Meg and Oscar have done their entire lives. Chapters alternate between the two characters, Meg and Oscar as there are flashbacks showing how both Meg and Oscar became separated over the last few months and to detail what has happened in each other’s lives.

I loved this novel. Like The Key to Extraordinary, it is a sweet and positive novel. If you like Wonder, We Are All Made of Molecules, Snicker of Magic, and novels such as these, you’ll thoroughly enjoy this novel as well. ( )
  acargile | Apr 24, 2016 |
Great story about bullying and how someone can ruin ones life. ( )
  lindamamak | Apr 5, 2016 |

Fitzgerald, Sarah Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fernández Ordás, SoniaTraductorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 082343561X, Hardcover)

With Oscar as my friend, mused Meg, everything made sense.

Fourteen-year-old Oscar Dunleavy is missing, presumed dead. His bike was found at sea, out past the end of the pier, and everyone in town seems to have accepted this as a teenage tragedy. But Oscar s best friend Meg knows he isn t dead. Oscar is an optimistic and kind boy who bakes the world s best apple tarts; he would never kill himself, and Meg is going to prove it.

Through interwoven narratives, the reader learns what really happened to Oscar: bullying, broken hearts and the revelation of a dark secret. Meg must confront the painful truth of Oscar s past six months, along with the possibility that he might really be gone.

This story of friendship and first love reminds us to keep hope in our hearts, even when it seems that all hope is lost.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 17 Feb 2016 17:03:02 -0500)

Oscar Dunleavy, a teenager who used to make incredible apple tarts, has gone missing and everyone thinks he is dead, but Oscar's best friend Meg and his little brother Stevie, form a band as they try to figure out what happened to him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,302,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible