Eggnog Murder by Leslie Meier

Great book! I loved all three mysteries. ( )
  mandolin77 | Jan 10, 2017 |
I'm not usually a short story reader, but these were fun. The first was a Lucy Stone story. It mixed a Santa beard club with Veterans , PTSD and alive triangle. I found it rather dry and preachy. Not to my liking. The second story by Lee Hollis also took place in Maine, featuring Hayley Powell. A cute story with. Scrooge-like town librarian who is allergic to eggnog. The final story by Barbara Ross, was my favorite. Julia Snowden was moving from NYC back to her hometown in Maine. She rather unwittingly invites the subtenant of her apartment to share the holidays with her family in Maine. Murder and mayhem ensue. I might check into reading this last series, as I enjoyed the character of Julia. All in all a cute quick holiday read. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Dec 12, 2016 |
This book is like a Whitman’s Sampler – you get a small taste of three really fine cozy mystery writers. If you picked up the book because you regularly read one of the authors, you will be pleasantly surprised by offerings of the other two. All three authors have written equally delicious killer stories . . . just don’t sample the eggnog. ( )
  Maydacat | Nov 29, 2016 |
This is a well-written, interesting collection of three holiday stories. I did wonder why the first two were so much alike. I would expect that, in a book of only three stories, there would be more differentiation, but who knows how this happened. In the first two, eggnog is the culprit in the two murders. However, who perpetrate the crimes and how they did them makes for interesting reads. Both authors weave tales of people who get mixed up, mostly through no fault or intention of their own, in things fare more nefarious than anyone would have liked. Both stories are set during the Christmas season, lending a wonderful holiday aspect to them, while putting the reader right into the holiday spirit. The characters in both are interesting and well done. I have enjoyed all of Leslie Meier’s Lucy Stone mysteries, and this one did not disappoint. I kept wishing, however it was a longer novel, so I could enjoy Lucy and her life in Tinker’s Cove longer. I have never read any of the Hayley Powell series, so really cannot comment to any great extent on whether this story showed Hayley off well or not, but I did find Hayley an interesting and well done character, and am sure I will enjoy reading more of her series. The third story was fascinating and well done. In fact, I wondered how the author kept Wayne and Wade straight in the story keeping the story line so consistent and straight. In the story, I did not like Imogen Geinkes well as I read the story, but, after finishing the story, I understood who she was and why she came across as she did and started to appreciate her a bit more. I have read the other books in the Maine Clambake series by Barbara Ross, and again enjoyed the main characters as much or more.

All three stories were good reads, and each could easily have been made into longer books, but, despite their brevity, the authors all did a great job making them novellas that captured the holiday spirit and grabbed me right into the story lines from the get-go. I applaud their ability to craft these tales into shorter versions that read so well and ended so well, without skipping over essential details or leaving the reader wondering what he/she had missed or not taken away from the reading. I received this from NetGalley to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | Nov 24, 2016 |
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion of the book or my review itself.

Meier, Hollis, and Ross each contribute a novella-length cozy mystery themed around eggnog and the holiday season. Each of their stories contains characters from their own mystery series.

These are fun, quick reads to get you in the holiday spirit. Each mystery was good, and had some nice twists at the end.

I also really enjoyed getting the glimpses into each author's characters. It makes me want to read more of their books.

There really wasn't much not to like about this book. I really liked getting three cozy mysteries in one book, all holiday-themed, all with clever solutions, and all with engaging characters.

If you're looking for a fun, holiday-themed read, this is a great cozy mystery collection. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Nov 21, 2016 |

Leslie Meierprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hollis, Leemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ross, Barbaramain authorall editionsconfirmed

An omnibus of novels by Lee Hollis, Leslie Meier and Barbara Ross. With the fireplace crackling, the tree twinkling, and the carols humming, few things in life are as picture perfect as Christmas in Maine - until murder dampens the holiday spirit. It must be something in the eggnog . . .… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,396,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible