George Washington's Sacred Fire by…

George Washington's Sacred Fire

by Peter A. Lillback

This book was written to prove that Washington was, contrary to popular opinion, no Deist, but he was a Christian. With this aim in mind, Lillback did an excellent point of achieving his objective. Lillback uses Washington's own writings, and the testimony of those who knew him best, to argue for Washington's Christianity. He does a good job of showing that Washington either was not a Deist, or he was very deceitful. Washington could not have made the statements that he did if he were both a Deist and a man of integrity. The quote that hit me the hardest was one that Washington's granddaughter, Nellie, made. She said that doubting Washington's Christianity is as sensible as doubting his patriotism. Few people knew Washington better than she, and she was very adamant in her beliefs concerning his faith. The only issue that I had with this book was the repetition. In order to make his point, Lillback would repeat things numerous times throughout the book. I prefer things to be a little more concise, and to have much less repetition, but I would still recommend this book. ( )
  torrey23 | Jun 9, 2013 |
The work is quite an eye-opening since it has been quite a while that I have read, and assumed I knew, Washington. Lillback revises a common secular assumption about Washington as a Deist. Several of the leading biographies, including Pulitzer Prize winning, Joseph Ellis, is flawed.

Peter Lillback on "One Nation Under God"
Dr. Peter Lillback's appearance and discussion of George Washington on the national television special "One Nation Under God."
  gmicksmith | Jan 5, 2012 |
Over the years I have read many biographies of George Washington but I guess what sets this book apart from the others is the author’s research into George Washington’s religious views, personal history, and his personal writings. The author leaves no doubt that Washington was not only a god fearing Christian man but the only man worthy to lead a young nation out of the grips of the British Empire. It’s my opinion that this book should surely be a must read for anyone who wants to learn about one of the finest president’s this nation has ever had and the period in which George Washington lived during the Revolutionary War. ( )
  RussBingaman | Apr 18, 2011 |
I have read several biographies of George Washington but I guess what sets this book apart from the others is the author’s research into George Washington’s religious views, personal history, and his personal writings. The author leaves no doubt that Washington was not only a god fearing Christian man but the only man worthy to lead a young nation out of the grips of the British Empire. It’s my opinion that this book should surely be a must read for anyone who wants to learn about one of the finest president’s this nation has ever had and the period in which George Washington lived during the Revolutionary War. ( )
  MichaelDeavers | Feb 23, 2011 |
I am so happy to have read this book. I never thought I knew enough about our founders, so I decided to go with the Father of Our Country. So much has been written about him that has little to do with the person he was according to his own words. This book deals primarily with his Christianity, but flows much into his history as a military leader and founder. There is some repetition to plow through; it is a 700+ page book without the appendices and end notes. But I felt the book well worth my effort to get to know the man behind the myths and the altered histories. ( )
  sitnknitn | Nov 19, 2010 |

What sets "George Washington's Sacred Fire" apart from all previous works on this man for the ages, is the exhaustive fifteen years of Dr. Peter Lillback's research, revealing a unique icon driven by the highest of ideals. Only do George Washington's own writings, journals, letters, manuscripts, and those of his closest family and confidants reveal the truth of this awe-inspiring role model for all generations. Dr. Lillback paints a picture of a man, who, faced with unprecedented challenges and circumstances, ultimately drew upon his persistent qualities of character - honesty, justice, equity, perseverence, piety, forgiveness, humility, and servant leadership, to become one of the most revered figures in world history. George Washington set the cornerstone for what would become one of the most prosperous, free nations in the history of civilization. Through this book, Dr. Lillback, assisted by Jerry Newcombe, will reveal to the reader a newly inspirational image of General and President George Washington.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:45 -0400)

"Dr. Lillback paints a picture of a man, who, faced with unprecedented challenges and circumstances, utlimately drew upon his persistent qualities of character--honesty, justice, equity, perserverance, piety, forgiveness, humility, and servant leadership, to become one of the most revered figures in world history." - from back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,400,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible