The war to end wars by Mollie Hardwick
131723,089 (3)7
04 (1) BBC (1) British (1) F (1) fiction (1) GB (1) HH (1) historical (1) historical fiction (1) II hinten (1) KA li außen (1) novelization (1) pb (1) Roman (1) TV Series (1) UD (1) upstairs downstairs (4) WWI (1)

In The War to End Wars we are back with the Upstairs, Downstairs families during World War I. The books follow the television series fairly closely, so there are no real surprises.

And while reading this particular volume, it struck me that "no real surprises" was what was missing: there is no depth to this book and the previous ones, they are taken from the television scripts without adding anything, and so are not very good literature.

I like cotton candy and fluff reads as much as the next person, I suppose, but there could have been some deeper writing here, more insight into the inner thoughts of the characters, and some more information about the situation, the first war that involved Europe and the Americas.

It was an okay read, and I enjoyed it for taking me back to a series I loved to watch every Sunday evening. Beyond that, there isn't much. ( )
  fuzzi | Jan 17, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,720,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible