Rivers of London : body work by Ben…
Member:stevepugh
Title:Rivers of London : body work
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Other authors:Andrew Cartmel (Author.), Lee Sullivan (Artist.)
Info:London : Titan Books, 2016.
Rating:**1/2

Rivers of London: Body Work by Ben Aaronovitch (2015)

A graphic novel set between books 4 and 5 of the Rivers Of London series. Peter investigates a series of incidents involving haunted cars. This is a short and straightforward plot compared to the main books in the series. It is well executed as a graphic novel. I found it interesting to learn how the author pictures each of his characters, somewhat different to my interpretations. ( )
  eclecticdodo | Jan 14, 2017 |
The story really suffers when the graphics dominate. Use your words, boys! ( )
  2wonderY | Nov 29, 2016 |
After finishing The Hanging Tree by the same author I realized I never entered this on Goodreads. I finished this back in April. It is a stand alone story set in between the the last two books and is a great way to introduce new fans to this series. I also loved how the author referenced this story line in the new book. A nice touch for fans who read this, but not necessary to have read for fans of the novels. ( )
  JJbooklvr | Nov 5, 2016 |
What drew me to this book: I'm a fan of the Rivers of London series. If you read my reviews often, you know I struggle with graphic novels. They aren't my favorite medium, but when a tale comes out in graphic novel in a series I read, I pick it up anyway. ;) This is the first graphic tale in the Rivers of London series, but it looks like there will be more.

Why I kept reading: It's always fun to see how someone else pictures a story's characters, which is one of the things I do like about graphic novels. I have a Pinterest board for this series' characters. Because the story takes place in London, and London is such an international city, it's fun to see all the cultural variations in how characters are pictured, too. Aaronovitch does a great job of making this series very diverse; probably the best of any series I've ever read. Plus, Toby and Molly are pictured, and they are a couple of my favorite characters.

The main story is short, but good. People are being mysteriously killed by their cars. Peter has to hunt down the cause and stop it before more people die. During the story, we get a little bit of background on Nightingale. His background is hinted at in the novels, but never fully revealed.

Probably the best part about this volume are the "shorts" in the back. There are six short, one- or two-page vignettes that are clever and cute and defy your expectations. Not only are they adorable little stories, but they are fantastic examples of the use of the visual medium.

Why I recommend it: If you're a fan of the Peter Grant series, this graphic novel is worth picking up. It's an interesting event in the life of the characters and the vignettes are so much fun. If you haven't read the series but like graphic novels, you might enjoy this volume as a taste of what is in the series. Maybe you'll find a new favorite. ;) ( )
  InvestedIvana | Jun 20, 2016 |
Loved this book as a light distraction read. Loved the references to historical London and geography of London. Likeable characters if somewhat predictable.
  alisonday69 | Nov 14, 2015 |

Sullivan, LeeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sullivan, LeeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Chiang, JaniceLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simpson, RonaLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They say that life is something that happens while you're making other plans.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 178276187X, Paperback)

Peter Grant, having become the first English apprentice wizard in fifty years, must immediately deal with two different but ultimately inter-related cases. In one he must find what is possessing ordinary people and turning them into vicious killers, and in the second he must broker a peace between the two warring gods of the River Thames.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 07 Feb 2016 21:41:39 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,414,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible