Movers by Meaghan McIsaac

Movers (edition 2016)

by Meaghan McIsaac (Author)

Member:EDHSLC
Title:Movers
Authors:Meaghan McIsaac (Author)
Info:Tundra Books (2016), 288 pages
Collections:Indigenous

Movers by Meaghan McIsaac

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of Librarything's Early Reviewers program, in exchange for an honest review. This is usually the type of novel I enjoy: Dystopian YA fiction. I found the story idea was intriguing and the plot moved quickly but the characters were not very interesting, and they seemed underdeveloped. It was hard to get past the misspelled words. That is to say words were spelled the popular way, not traditional way. ( )
  amilligan | Jun 6, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Earth 2083. A group of humans known as Movers have developed the ability to telepathically contact their Shadows, people who live in the future, and in some cases even "move" them into the present. Patrick, his friend Gabby, and his sister Maggie have these powers. All chaos breaks out when Gabby's evil Shadow is moved into the present, determined to strengthen his powers and destroy anyone who gets in his way. A fast-paced, exciting read with a cliffhanger ending leaving you wanting to read more. Recommended. ( )
  SheilaCornelisse | Apr 19, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

"Movers" is set in the not-too-distant future. It has been discovered that some people have the ability to bring others backward in time. The "shadows" are connected to their movers, some movers are just barely aware of their shadows. Others can talk to them, and some can even move them through time. Movers live in a world which greatly mistrusts and even ostracizes them, suspicious of their unusual powers. Things go even more awry when a shadow gains the ability to move through time on his own, and goes into the past with terrible consequences.

While this is very much the kind of book I usually love (dystopian, sci-fi, YA), I found that "Movers" just falls flat. The characters are not especially well-developed, and the story requires the reader to do a lot of connecting the dots rather than explaining what is going on. This can be a good thing, but in the case of Movers it's just confusing.

Overall, not a very strong book when it comes to plot and consistency. ( )
  leahdawn | Apr 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was excited to start this book as it sounded wonderful only to be disappointed when I actually got into it. While the premise was fantastic, the delivery was flat, sentences are choppy and words are spelt in the millennial way. After the prologue, it took five captors to get any real action going but by that time, I was so frustrated with this book that I could not finish it. ( )
  CherryHatchett | Mar 30, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A good story of a world where Movers, who can bring their Shadow from the future, are second-class citizens blamed for over-population. Three young movers deal with the consequences of a move dealing with authorities, resistance and shadows. It is the first book of a series. I like it enough to plan on reading the next book in the series. ( )
  lbmillar | Mar 28, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Movers by Meaghan McIsaac was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,299,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible