Decanting a Murder (A Sommelier Mystery) by…

Decanting a Murder (A Sommelier Mystery)

by Nadine Nettmann

152647,891 (3)None

The concept of a sommelier was interesting when I heard the author speak at LCC Hawaii but the book really annoyed me as the main character kept putting herself in needless jeopardy. I also did not warm to the characters and will not seek out the next book in the series.
  Aussiemyst | Apr 10, 2017 |
Decanting a Murder by Nadine Nettmann is the first book in A Sommelier Mystery series. Katie Stillwell just took her Certified Sommelier Exam (the first step in a four step process to become a Master Sommelier). Katie knows she did not do well because she choked (which she does quite often) on the blind tasting portion (after bragging that she is The Palate). But she does not have time to dwell on it, because she is off to an exclusive event at the Frontier Winery to celebrate their 100th anniversary. The Frontier Winery is not open to the public (only members of the Frontier Wine Club). Katie is lucky that her friend, Tessa Blakely, works for the Frontier Wine Club and wangled her an invite. Katie is enjoying a wonderful wine and the company of Jeff Kingman (who is flirting with her) when they hear a scream. One of the servers has discovered an arm sticking out of a fermentation tank. The arm belongs to winery owner Mark Plueger. The number one suspect ends up being Katie’s friend, Tessa (who disappeared during the party). Katie wants to clear her friend (who is flighty, lively party girl who likes to drink) and involves herself in Detective Dean’s investigation (he is the lead detective on the case and is interested in Katie). Tessa protected Katie many years ago, and Katie will do anything for Tessa (blind loyalty). Will Katie be able to clear Tessa and find the real killer? What happens when the suspects start turning up dead? You will have to join Katie in Decanting a Murder!

Decanting a Murder was a wine, it would be considered a bad vintage (undrinkable). The pace is slow (snails were zipping by me). The novel just drags on and on toward the inevitable (and predictable) conclusion. The characters (as well as the book) are flat (they are just meh)! It lacks depth/substance. Clues are nonexistent (you do not need them though). The killer was obvious (actions speak louder than clues). I was hoping this would be a great new series, but I was disappointed (I’m sorry, but I am being honest). The premise (basic idea) is good, but I did not enjoy the final product (this book). I think the author needs to start over with new characters. Katie comes across as awkward (with issues) and Tessa is someone I would really rather not associate with (what winery would hire someone who drinks that much especially during a party when they are supposed to be working). I give Decanting a Murder 2 out of 5 stars. If there is another book in the series, will I read it? Probably not. There would have to be significant improvement for me to read it.

I received a complimentary copy of Decanting a Murder from NetGalley (courtesy of the publisher) in exchange for an honest review of the novel. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | May 10, 2016 |

Katie Stillwell focuses on two things in her life: work and practicing for her Sommelier Certification with her blind tasting group. The exam was supposed to be the hardest part of her week, but that was before a body was found at an exclusive Napa Valley winery party.

When all the evidence points to Katie’s best friend, the outspoken and independent Tessa, Katie drops everything to clear Tessa’s name. Using her deductive wine skills, she tries to track down the real killer. But when repeated attempts are made on her life, Katie discovers that everyone’s secrets must be uncorked―including her own.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 19 Feb 2016 01:49:01 -0500)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,421,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible