Betting Blind by Lily Gardner

Betting Blind

by Lily Gardner

411,664,912 (3.5)None

One thing I know for sure, Betting Blind author Lily Gardner is an authentic Portlander. Portland’s presence in Betting Blind is deep and authentic. The sense of place is powerful, the city sets the mood and it all rings true. The main character even says spendy instead of expensive or costly.

Lennox is a private investigator, dismissed from the Portland Police Bureau in disgrace and piecing her life back together. Some of her former colleagues are still her friends, aware that her firing while technically fair was plainly unjust. The gather for a weekly poker game where she cleans them out more often than not.

One of the gang, Fulin, a parole officer, does not show up for the game, it turns out he’s been arrested and hires her to help find a parolee whose put the squeeze on him. Things go bottoms up and soon Lennox is investigating more than a missing parolee, but extortion and murder as well.

Interestingly one of the clues leads to Second Life® which is the only part of this mystery where Gardner goes astray. It is not just that Gardner revisits the usual sexual deviance tropes that people outside of Second Life concentrate on, but she has skin reddening, people glowering and flipping their hair in irritation.

The mystery follows all the fair play rules, there’s no secret clues and unknown, unseen reports. Lennox is a smart investigator and does not chase stupid red herrings. There are red herrings, of course, but they aren’t stupid ones.

I enjoyed Betting Blind and if Lily Gardner continues to write more Lennox Cooper mysteries, I will gladly read them. As a Portlander, I was pleased with her excellent, true to the city setting. As a Second Life resident, I had to roll my eyes a bit. Damn you, C.S.I. New York, you have much to answer for. The novel is fast-paced and the writing is disciplined and efficient. The main character, Lennox is a smart woman, competent and independent. I hope to read many more of her cases in the future.

I received a digital galley from the publisher via NetGalley

https://tonstantweaderreviews.wordpress.com/2016/04/23/betting-blind-by-lily-gardner/ ( )
  Tonstant.Weader | Apr 24, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 168230244X, Paperback)

For Lennox Cooper, helping out a friend means gambling with her life.

In the rainy city of Portland, Matilda Bauer has been blackmailing her parole officer, Fulin Chen. Just when Fulin’s ready to come clean, Matilda disappears. Bad news for Fulin, because once Matilda is arrested for breaking parole she’ll show the photos she has on him and end his career. Fulin turns to his longtime friend and poker buddy, Lennox Cooper, P.I., to help him find the beautiful blonde con-woman.

A former cop, Lennox knows how it feels to live and breathe the police life―and to be thrown out of it. She'll do anything to help her friend avoid a similar fate. But three days later Lennox finds Matilda dead, in what looks like a sex game gone terribly wrong. Fulin Chen is the lead suspect. Lennox's search for Matilda, however, causes her to begin turning over rocks, finding that her past lies under many of them―not to mention deadly threats. Matilda Bauer had no shortage of enemies, though, and Lennox will have to sift through the many blackmail victims and jilted lovers to find the real killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 19 Feb 2016 01:54:08 -0500)

In the rainy city of Portland, Matilda Bauer has been blackmailing her parole officer, Fulin Chen. Just when Fulin ?s ready to come clean, Matilda disappears. Bad news for Fulin, because once Matilda is arrested for breaking parole she ?ll show the photos she has on him and end his career. Fulin turns to his longtime friend and poker buddy, Lennox Cooper, P.I., to help him find the beautiful blonde con-woman. A former cop, Lennox knows how it feels to live and breathe the police life?and to be thrown out of it. She'll do anything to help her friend avoid a similar fate. But three days later Lennox finds Matilda dead, in what looks like a sex game gone terribly wrong. Fulin Chen is the lead suspect. Lennox's search for Matilda, however, causes her to begin turning over rocks, finding that her past lies under many of them?not to mention deadly threats. Matilda Bauer had no shortage of enemies, though, and Lennox will have to sift through the many blackmail victims and jilted lovers to find the real killer.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,158,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible