Stopgap by Liam Card

Stopgap

by Liam Card

322,001,085 (4.5)None

3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I liked it.

When Safia starts roaming the world as a ghost, her mentor Luke will have many a sleepless night trying to figure out what to do as Safia discovers that she can kill people and wants to become Kira*.

Like I said, I really enjoyed this story. It has been years since I read/watched Death Note, and it is difficult not to see some similarities, although they mostly focus on questions like 'What kind of crimes are punishable?' and 'Who are you to judge?'. Safia's full of rage and this clouds her thoughts and actions more than Luke, who's very passive by nature, is willing to admit to himself.

Stopgap provides some interesting questions and a nice story without ever feeling too heavy. Due to the fact that it's a relatively short novel, it's also a fast read. I would like to read more books by this author.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review!

* Kira is the name for the serial killer in the Death Note series who wants to kill all criminals in the world. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Card has a unique writing style perhaps coming from his background in film. His descriptions are short, quick, descriptive and vivid. And that works well for a plot dealing with abstracts from visions of the afterlife. Trying to understand something we haven’t truly experience can be hard to explain, but Card does give us a suggestion of what might lay beyond.

http://tinyurl.com/hvox9ok ( )
  steven.buechler | Apr 14, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible