The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim by Shane…

The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim (2017)

by Shane Peacock

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim by Shane Peacock tries, & sadly failes, to emulate the Gothic Horror stories of the past. What could have been a unique & terrifying spin, & an introduction to our younger generations, to classic monster stories simply does not deliver- either the spine tingling suspense or the page-turning fascination we have come to except from Gothic Tales. The first part of the book is slow moving & murky. Our unheroic hero, Edgar Brim, is haunted by his past & by a malevolent hag whose purpose or existence is never explained. The story picks up in the later half of the book as more action scenes play out, but the jaring inclusion of a side story from Bram Stokers viewpoint is started to late to seem anything more, at that point, than an confusing intrusion. I did like the quirky supporting cast, especially Tiger Tilley- a spunky female adventuress who deserves her own story book. If you are looking for a slow, mild story; read on, but if you are expecting to be chilled & thrilled in true Gothic fashion stick with the classics that inspired this tale. ( )
  frogwindy | Mar 11, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A not so frightening gothic horror story obviously set for young adults. I felt the characters, scenes, and monsters needed some sort of introduction. In my opinion, a lot of young adults these days will not know who was Bram Stoker, Henry Irving (I myself google this person up), or even the fictional monster of Dracula and Frankestine (much less Mary Shelly). They might have an idea at most, but without this background knowledge, they might be lost. Also, I dare anyone that has read this book to vividly describe the college for me. I, of course, fell back to my imaginings of a downscale version of Hogwarts, but other than it is in the moors, has a cellar, infirmary, some cemetery at a distance, and hall for eating, it was rather nondescript. Also, what is this power Brim has that allows him to have a 6th sense when it comes to monsters? Perhaps something that will be discovered in later books? The story drags in places at times. Half the book poor kid has no clue about anything. When Brim finally gets information about this secret society, I am thinking, oh finally we are going to read something in the occult and cool, but turns out to be rather disappointing. I am sure Brim felt the same, there might have been a line where he expressed that. You might enjoy this book and appreciate it more by picking up the allusion to other classical author writings, like Poe and Robert Louis Stevenson. At some point it made me think the book was written or thought of as the author was going through a college literature course.

Overall, the idea of the monsters being real and the main character having some sort of power to combat them is tractable enough to enjoy the book. Yet, I would have like to see more action or descriptors for the story. For example, more insight into characters like Tiger and Lear and more descriptors for the college, settings, and theater. The last chapters were rather exciting and gave the story a good closure. I am on the fence whether to read the next installment. ( )
  hrrivera44 | Mar 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Edgar Brim is an orphan who has suffered from night terrors for as long as he can remember. Things only get worse when his guardian sends him to a school for boys on The Highlands of Scotland. Life at school is miserable for Edgar until a new student arrives. Tiger is everything Edgar isn't. Tiger is brave and athletic. The two soon become fast friends, but as graduation nears, tragedy strikes and secrets are revealed. With guidance from a trusted teacher, Edgar and his friends set off on a dark, supernatural mission that leads them to the Royal Lyceum Theatre in London. Here Edgar will have to confront the very terrors that have haunted him his entire life. And just when Edgar and his friends think they are in the clear, a surprise twist sets the stage for the second installment of the trilogy.

The Bottom Line: From the author of the Boy Sherlock Holmes series comes a new Gothic trilogy for teens. Readers will identify with the characters as they struggle to face both their fears and awkward social angst. Although parts of the book drag at times, there are plenty of thrills, mystery, and creepy moments to keep you turning the pages. The book also highlights themes of teamwork and friendship. Recommended for teens and adults who enjoy Gothic literature, horror, and the supernatural. I'm looking forward to reading the next one. ( )
  aya.herron | Feb 25, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim is not the type of book I would normally choose to read, mainly because I don't normally look for Teen/YA books. I began reading with the thought that I would not particularly care for the story, but I was wrong. I got caught up in wondering what was going to happen to Edgar Brim.

This book is the first in a trilogy. It remains to be seen whether I will continue liking this book enough to go on to the 2nd and 3rd in the series, but right now I feel that's entirely possible.

I received The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. ( )
  PeggyK49 | Feb 16, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim, by Shane Peacock, is a fun introduction into gothic horror for young teens! The only prerequisite is that the reader needs a knowledge of horror stories - Frankenstein and Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, for example.
Edgar Brim's mother died in childbirth, so he never knew her; his father loves him deeply but he is a dreamer. He wants to write light and happy stories, and attempts to do so, but he is drawn to the dark horror of the time - the Victorian age. And as he reads aloud, Edgar "enters" the stories and sees the characters. He grows up knowing they are real. Monsters creeping around. After a trip to London, in which Edgar's father attends the performance of Faust at a famous theater, the Royal Lyceum, Edgar's life changes. As the show is not for young people, he sits in the lobby while his father attends the performance. When the show is over and his father finally exits, he is somehow different. Pale, lethargic, not himself. And the next morning Edgar finds his father has died in his sleep.
He goes to live with a dear friend of his mother's in London and from there is sent to a boarding school on the moors in Scotland. And there he finds the monsters truly are real.

I found myself inside this story, the characters are well defined and the emotions as expressed in a heartfelt manner. This is an episode in Edgar's story, when he is near to graduating, where a child enters the school - chronically ill, also "seeing" monsters. Edgar is spends time with the ill, little Newman in the hospital, I could see him sitting and attempting to help the little boy. It brought me to the beginning of the story, when Edgar was the little boy, alone and afraid.
As a young man, he is no longer alone and has learned to harness his fear. He has frineds - a group much like him - and we follow them as they search for the monster that is currently terrifying the city.
The story is scary but not so graphic as to terrify the average person reading. Red Herrings are periodically placed in the story to help move it along - as an adult I reccognized this technique, as a teenager who has never read such stoies, they will be a learning experience!
All in all, I had a great time in this story - and as it is the first of a trillogy, I an pretty sure I will enjoy the next two volumnes!!! ( )
  PallanDavid | Feb 11, 2018 |

Shane Peacockprimary authorall editionscalculated
Caetano, CarlosCover image of holesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
CP Photo ArtCover image of boysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DevineyCover image of fogsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kelly, KevinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lum, JenniferCover & interior designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Susaki, YujiCover image of x-raysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I had a dream which was not all a dream.

'Darkness,' George Gordon,

known as Lord Byron (summer 1816)
Art is long, life short...

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe,
Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship
To the admirable Hadley Jane,
who has faced her fears
To Sam, a young man of many talents,
who grows more fearless every day.
Edgar Brim can't breathe.
Edgar Brim is running for his life on the dark streets of London after midnight, Tiger Tilley by his side and fear in his heart.
[Tiger is telling Edgar about a question the Crypto-Anthropology Society of the Queen's Empire used to ask children]

'Oh, yes. They asked if you ever had the sensation, just as you wakened, that something or someone was sitting on your chest and pressing the air from your lungs, trying to kill you. Your arms and legs were paralyzed; you were conscious but couldn't move. They called it the hag phenomenon.' (chapter 12)

"Edgar Brim is a sensitive orphan who, exposed to horror stories from his father as a young child, is afraid of almost everything and suffers from nightly terrors. His stern new guardian, Mr. Thorne, sends the boy to a gloomy school in Scotland where his dark demons only seem to worsen and he is bullied and ridiculed for his fears. But years later, when sixteen-year-old Edgar finds a journal belonging to his novelist father, he becomes determined to confront his nightmares and the bullies who taunt him. After the horrific death of a schoolmate, Edgar becomes involved with an eccentric society at the urging of a mysterious professor who believes that monsters from famous works of literature are real and whose mandate is to find and destroy these creatures. With the aid of a rag-tag crew of friends, the fear-addled teen sets about on his dark mission, one that begins in the cemetery on the bleak Scottish moors and ends in a spine-chilling climax on the stage of the Royal Lyceum Theatre in London with Henry Irving, the infamous and magnetic actor, and his manager, Bram Stoker, the author of the most frightening and sensational novel of the day, Dracula. Can Edgar Brim truly face his terror and conquer his fears?"--Amazon.com.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Shane Peacock's book The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim: Monster is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shane Peacock's book The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,839,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible