The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim by Shane…

The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim

by Shane Peacock

The story jumps around a lot and I found it really hard to read.
It was so tough to read that I actually put it aside for months, before finally forcing myself to finish it. ( )
  JRlibrary | May 22, 2017 |
Edgar Brim is a frightened little boy who seems to become easily absorbed into the scary stories his dad tells him. Then, his father passes away the night after visiting the theater, and Edgar ends up being shipped off to a boarding school on the Scottish moors. Blah blah blah, and he finds out that the famous monsters from literature are real, and that they're coming after him.

I was hoping for something like the [b:Lockwood & Co.|13555073|The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1)|Jonathan Stroud|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1369670906s/13555073.jpg|19125429] series, and I absolutely LOVE the cover of this book, but it's neither interesting nor well-written. It's written (mostly) in present tense, although as the story backs up to give the backstory, it goes to past tense. But the switching doesn't really work. There are some characters with potential - Edgar, his friend Tiger - but their development is splotchy and they never become especially likable. Worst, are Jonathan and Lucy - names that are taken from Bram Stoker's Dracula, of course. Both are cardboard characters, as well as annoying. Plot development is long and rambling, with clumsy attempts at building suspense. The ending isn't even satisfying, but felt anti-climatic.

It's unfortunate because it appears the author is an accomplished writer, but I just felt this was rushed and could have used a few more re-writes. I *will not* be reading any further books in the series. (I received an advance copy from Amazon Vine.) ( )
  J.Green | Nov 22, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A lot of promise here, but I found this book very disappointing. I know it's aimed at young readers and I shouldn't nitpick it for historical accuracy. But if the author is going to go to the trouble of conducting research to set his book in a specific time period, then he should be thorough about it. So much of the dialogue and descriptions were jarring and seemed forced, with characters engaged in conversations and thought processes that would be alien to a late 19th century person. It really disrupted my ability to engage with the story. ( )
  Panopticon2 | Nov 11, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested this book because it sounded a bit different than most of the ones on offer through Early Reviewers but I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting. I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed reading this one. It is the first of a series and it is one I will be looking forward to.

Edgar Brim has a strange talent, he can 'live' in stories as they are read or told. Beyond what a normal reader experiences. So scary stories are absolutely terrifying. His dad has a thirst for the scary and morbid and so Edgar has a terrifying childhood. But it turns out that not all the stories are just that, many are based on some truth, and that may include some of the monsters his father read about.

This is a great dark Victorian style story, taking place in England and Scotland in the mid 1800's. It captures the essence very well and does a good job of bringing out the creepy, while also bringing friends close together. Bram Stoker and his book Dracula are prominently featured in this novel, and I would say the author was paying on homage to both with this one. ( )
  readafew | Oct 7, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I kind of hate to say this, but I just could not get into this book. It's well written, has tons of elements I love.. all noir, classic horror, period-piece type feel.. It was just slow for me and it took ages to finish it, mostly because I got it as an Early Reviewer copy. I'm afraid it just wasn't the right time for me to read it. It's not you, Shane Peacock, it's me. Your book is really good, I'm just not in the right place right now. ( )
  blueviolent | Oct 4, 2016 |

"Edgar Brim is a sensitive orphan who, exposed to horror stories from his father as a young child, is afraid of almost everything and suffers from nightly terrors. His stern new guardian, Mr. Thorne, sends the boy to a gloomy school in Scotland where his dark demons only seem to worsen and he is bullied and ridiculed for his fears. But years later, when sixteen-year-old Edgar finds a journal belonging to his novelist father, he becomes determined to confront his nightmares and the bullies who taunt him. After the horrific death of a schoolmate, Edgar becomes involved with an eccentric society at the urging of a mysterious professor who believes that monsters from famous works of literature are real and whose mandate is to find and destroy these creatures. With the aid of a rag-tag crew of friends, the fear-addled teen sets about on his dark mission, one that begins in the cemetery on the bleak Scottish moors and ends in a spine-chilling climax on the stage of the Royal Lyceum Theatre in London with Henry Irving, the infamous and magnetic actor, and his manager, Bram Stoker, the author of the most frightening and sensational novel of the day, Dracula. Can Edgar Brim truly face his terror and conquer his fears?"--Amazon.com.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shane Peacock's book The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,364,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible