Surviving High School: A Novel by Lele Pons

Surviving High School: A Novel

by Lele Pons, Melissa de la Cruz

I picked this book up because in the description it said it was about how a high school student went from being bullied to being fabulous. While there was some of that, there was more emphasis on not needing an education because Internet fame is easy to achieve, that underage drinking, etc. is OK if you are famous and rules do not apply to those who are famous. I have to say, this book was a big disappointment and would definitely not recommend it for the age group intended because of the messages in it. ( )
  Susan.Macura | May 26, 2016 |
Lele Pons is ostensibly a Vine star--for those who don't know, Vine is an app in which a user can create six-second videos. Lele is new to a Miama high school, where she does not fit in at first; she's goofy and awkward. Once her brand-new fame as a Vine star thrusts her into the popular echelons of the social scene, Lele must now grapple with faux friends and a new crush in between raves and celebrity parties. This frivolous autobiographical book is not, as promised, about surviving high school, but more about surviving short-lived fame at a young age. Lele, however, comes across as arrogant and unlikeable; case in point: "...my life is dope and I do dope things. People think I'm cool and want to be around me; I attract crowds like moths to a flame, I am in demand." VERDICT: You can perhaps dangle this ego-filled carrot in front of a reluctant reader, but ten years from now, Pons may be embarrassed by this big-headed offering. Only recommended for grades 10+ (maybe 11+) due to prolific cursing and sexual situations. (Reviewed for SLJ) ( )
  amandacb | Apr 23, 2016 |

Lele Ponsprimary authorall editionscalculated
de la Cruz, Melissamain authorall editionsconfirmed

Lele sits alone at lunch until, overnight, her newfound digital fame catapults her into popularity. She now has to deal with the cliques, the drama, the cute boys and the mean girls - all while keeping her grades up and making her parents proud.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,656,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible