Shelter Dogs in a Photo Booth by Guinnevere…

Shelter Dogs in a Photo Booth

by Guinnevere Shuster

I would like to thank Andrews McMeel Publishing and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.

If you like dogs, let me highly recommend this book to you! The animals in this book are absolutely adorable, and the mission behind this book is one of love and hope. I am in awe of the pictures of the dogs in this book. Even though they were living in a shelter environment at the time their photos were taken for the main part of this book, you cannot tell. They look like the happy, sometimes goofy creatures they are, and their personalities really shine through.

This seems like a wonderful idea for any shelter - especially one that is having trouble moving some of their animals out of the shelter. Have their pictures taken in this "photo booth" type setting, and let their personalities shine through, rather than just the sadness of being behind bars for most of the day.

The really nice part about this book was that it was so upbeat. The book shares the date of adoption for each dog, and a small story about how/why the dog was brought to the Humane Society of Utah, where the animals were all sheltered at, or fostered from, and then a small blurb on their personalities.

This would make a wonderful coffee table book, and I hope to have more books like this come out in the future, with more happy tales of adoption.

The really great thing about this book is the place where the animals were at. The Humane Society of Utah is, according to the book, an open-admissions shelter, and there is no limit to how long an animal can stay there while waiting for adoption. There is more information than that about the shelter in the book, and I definitely recommend looking into their program, because they sound absolutely excellent.

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own, and I am never compensated monetarily for my reviews. ( )
  TheGrandWorldofBooks | May 21, 2016 |
As an owner of former shelter dogs, there was no way I could bypass this. Featuring 100 shelter dogs showing off their unique personalities in a set of stunning photo booth pictures and each with a little biography, this was utter cuteness overload.
Some of the proceeds of this wonderful book go towards the Best Friends Animal Society and the Humane Society of Utah. It's a perfect gift for dog lovers or simply an eye-catching coffee table book. There will also be a wall calendar published, which I had to pre-order right away.
Our Jack Russell is now 18-years-old and there has been some talk about trying to see what life in an upcoming dog-free household could be like.....yeah, so not going to happen.
One look at the pictures and the stories in this lovely book and I can see another trip to a dog shelter in our future.
Many thanks to Andrews McMeel Publishing for my copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
1 vote Pet12 | May 10, 2016 |
I am a huge animal lover. Huge. While I love most animals, I am really very partial to dogs. I am also a really big supporter of shelters and everything that they do for the animal population. My house is pretty filled with animals from my local shelter. We currently have 3 dogs and 1 cat that were all adopted from our local Humane Society.

I don't know why but I love looking at the photos of dogs waiting for their forever homes. We adopted 2 puppies from the Humane Society during the last few months of 2015 largely because of this. My husband has now banned me from the Humane Society's website. Like he can actually stop me. So I look and always feel a little sad that they are there waiting to find someone to love them as much as I love mine.

I kind of feel like this book was made just for me. Each page brought me wonderful pictures of great looking dogs along with a few tidbits about the animal. And the best part.....almost all of these dogs have found their happily ever after! I really loved the last section of the book that showed some of the animals now. Sometimes they were alone, sometimes with their new doggie siblings, and sometimes with their human family but they always looked really very happy.

I would highly recommend this book to animal lovers like myself. I think that it is absolutely wonderful that a portion of the proceeds from this book will go to the Humane Society of Utah and Best Friends Animal Society. I applaud the author for all of the time that she has making sure so many shelter animals have a wonderful photo to help them in their search for a forever family. Sometimes all it takes it a photo to fall in love.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Andrews McMeel Publishing via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life. http://carolesrandomlife.blogspot.com/ ( )
1 vote Carolesrandomlife | May 9, 2016 |
This is going to be a short review, Shelter Dogs in a Photo Booth is a collection of pictures of, well, shelter dogs as though their pictures were taken in a photo booth. These pictures bring out so much of the personality of each dog. These have been adopted, these are all success stories. Please, if you have any thought of getting a canine companion consider a shelter dog. The shelter you visit may not have these types of beautiful photographs but the dogs will each have personalities as big as these dogs. Look past their unfortunate surroundings to how they will blossom when in a loving home.

Reviewed from an ARC made available by the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  pomo58 | Apr 27, 2016 |
Shelter Dogs in a Photo Booth by Guinnevere Shuster is a delightful and uplifting book of dogs from a shelter in a photo booth. Page after page of the most unique and mesmerizing poses of dogs of all sizes, shapes, colors, and breeds. The images are crystal clear and each image is so special. Each dog has four images each and each picture is a hoot! I bet they had so much fun picking through all the pictures for this book. The book is arranged nicely with the dog's brief, creatively written, backgrounds. This is listed with each dog to fill the reader in on these wonderful pups. At the end of the book, some of the dogs are shown as they are today with their new families.
My heart felt good reading this book, I smiled all the way through it. What a perfect gift for someone who thinks they have everything, for those who love animals, or those that need a pick-me-up. Lovely book!
I received this book for a honest review from NetGalley and it in no way effected my rating or the content of my review. ( )
1 vote MontzaleeW | Mar 1, 2016 |

Often seen as sad, rejected, and behind cold metal bars, it's no wonder people would avoid images of shelter dogs awaiting forever homes. From talented photographer (and now public figure and adoption champion) Guinnivere Shuster comes Shelter Dogs in a Photo Booth, a guaranteed-to-make-you-smile photo book featuring shelter dogs in a brand-new light. Get ready to see the cutest canine portraits you've ever seen! Guinnevere's fantastic photos went viral and have been featured on websites, in magazines, and on television programs all over the world: Good Morning America, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, The Huffington Post, Time, The Daily Mail . . . even celebrities have gotten in on the action: Amy Poehler, Cesar Millan, and Zooey Deschanel have made statements and posts declaring their love of Guinnevere's work. After the adorable and up-for-adoption photos of these furry friends were seen and enjoyed by millions, adoption rates at Utah's Humane Society skyrocketed. The book features 100 dog photo booth style photographs, each accompanied by a short story about the dog's personality, how the dog ended up in the shelter, and the adoption date. A follow-up will conclude the book, with photos of some of them with their new families.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,572,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible