The Misadventures of Grumpy Cat (And Pokey!)…

The Misadventures of Grumpy Cat (And Pokey!) Volume 1

by Ben McCool

204515,329 (3.5)None

I was a bit confused at first why I imaged Grumpy Cat being voiced by Bill Murray, then I realized that this series reminded me of Garfield. With, the exception that I found Garfield much funnier. Or at least, I did when I was younger. The comics of course, not the movie. It didn't matter that Grumpy Cat apparently is a female cat. I have Bill Murray's voice in my head.

I think I'm not the right age group for this kind of comic. I wasn't particularly amused my it. Now and then there would be some almost funny oneliner like this one. But mostly I felt meh!

But for the most part, it just was very lackluster to read. The art was OK at least.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review.

Read this review and others on A Bookaholic Swede ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Grumpy cat is super cute, she is wonderfully sarcastic and this graphic novel show that and her utter un-enjoyment of the world. Pokey on the other hand is all about finding the joy and fun in everything and the dual often get into trouble but also have fun together - well from Pokey side of it anyway.

This volume includes what seems like issues 1-3 of the Grumpy Cat series and the comic con issues. All the artists have done a wonderful job capturing Grumpy's likeness and the stories are cute and fun to read. I really enjoyed this volume and was happy to find bonus material as well, showcasing the issue cover variants and some sketches of Grumpy and Pokey. It was all adorable. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
*I received this book from NetGalley in return for a fair review.*

Grumpy Cat, the comic, is often times cute and funny. And really really short. A lot of the stories are quick little adventures. The kind where everything is set up, certain things happen, then poof off to the next story – all seemingly within a few pages.

Some of the ideas might be interesting to have seen followed through, like detective Grumpy; haunted house Grumpy; superhero Grumpy.

Characters
Grumpy - as might be expected, the cat that became a meme on the internet for having a permanent grumpy expression (a genetic condition) is, in fact, the star of this self-titled comic series.

Pokey is a hyperactive constantly in motion, constantly wanting to play house mate of Grumpy’s. Oh, and a cat. I forgot to mention the cat part.

Others - the above are the two most common characters to appear, though occasionally others appear, like a dog, and ghosts, and . . . others.

Plot
It’s hard to discuss/describe the plot since this is a collection of many very short stories. Mind you, some authors have become super famous for writing stories so short that they can be contained on one page. So super short stories, in and of themselves, are not a ‘problem’.

It’s not always easy to see in a collected volume, but there appears to be three or four stories every 26 pages. Most of these stories are, to a certain extent, interesting. Humorous at times. The problem, as I think I’ve mentioned before, is simply the fact that the stories get me interested in a certain topic/theme then . . . that specific topic of theme is suddenly over before I could ‘get my thrill.’

Overall
I think, I’m not sure now, but I do believe that I had recommended people to try at least the first comic way back when it appeared. I don’t remember if it was cheap, free, or what my rationale was, but simply that the comic was a humorous way to spend a few moments out from the overall hard working life many people suffer. That’s harder to say in regards to a complete volume, at least in terms of talking about how ‘inexpensive’ it all is. Still, I’d recommend Grumpy the volume. As long as you like cats. And mild humor.

I did something I rarely do – I looked at some of the other reviews before I started my own review. Therefore I saw a somewhat reoccurring theme, that being ‘Garfield’. Well, sure, both involve cats. Garfield is more lazy than grumpy, though that can, at times, come across as grumpy. And both Garfield and Grumpy have somewhat annoying younger cats that they kind of dislike (I can’t recall exactly the name of the cat, Nerman? Nermal? Norman? Something like that). Though the hyperactive, always cute cat in Garfield is somewhat a rare addition to the storyline, while Pokey is in, I think, all the stories.

In looks and temperament, I might have thought of comparing Grumpy and Bucky. I could be wrong, but they might be both the same breed of cat. Though, if I recall what I’ve read in the back story to the Bucky series, the writer/author there didn’t base the cat on any specific breed/cat. While Grumpy, obviously, is based on Grumpy. In looks mostly. I’ve some vague understanding that the real Grumpy might actually be a sweet little kitty, though again, I could be wrong there.

Oh, one thing I was going to mention – I didn’t actually realize, until I saw this on Netgalley that this series was for kids. See, here I was having fun reading a comic that had mild humor and involved a cat, and suddenly I learn that it was designed for kids. Mmphs. Heh. Would this hold a kids attention? Would a kid just absolute love this collection of comics? No idea, I’m not a kid and I do not have full time responsibility for any kids, so I am not sure. Would an adult enjoy a comic designed for kids? Well, I did.

I probably would give the overall collection of comic issues, I think they collect four or five issues?, a combined score of around 3.8 out of 5.0 stars.

January 28 2016
  Lexxi | Jun 26, 2016 |

Dynamite proudly presents the comic book misadventures of Grumpy Cat, featuring The World's Grumpiest Cat and her brother, Pokey! With her ever-present pout and sassy disposition, Grumpy Cat has won the hearts of people everywhere. Now, her unbearable cuteness and infectious sourpuss are featured in an all-new, all-sensational collection of comic stories, sure to make fans of all ages laugh! If you love the memes, the videos, and that irresistible scowl, then get ready for the wildly fun antics of Grumpy Cat and Pokey!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,592,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible