Scar Tissue by Monique Domovitch

Scar Tissue

by Monique Domovitch

Scar Tissue is the sort of series starter that tells a complete story while leaving space for many more to follow. The protagonist starts as a beautiful model, on the cusp of being rich and famous. But now she struggles to define a new identity without her career. Lines cut into her skin leave her feeling wounded, inside and out. And her torturer hasn’t been caught.

Ciara has friends, but they’re tied up with her old career. She has a boyfriend, but it was hard enough for his family to accept a glamorous model’s presence at his table. They'll never welcome her now. And she has a sister, but the sister wants her to pick herself up and get a job.

From hurtful knife-cuts to healing adjustments, from destroying beauty to restoring normality, from modeling’s glory to remodeling’s generosity, Ciara’s life takes some truly intriguing turns before tragedy sends her tumbling back into returning memories of what was forgotten before.

Ciara’s story’s convincingly told. The plot is intriguing. And the revelation that will drive the series is created in a slowly satisfying manner, allowing the reader to guess and look forward to more. Scar Tissue is a satisfying novel in itself, and a great start to a series. I certainly enjoyed it.

Disclosure: I was given a copy and I offer my honest review. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Aug 23, 2017 |
Surely You set them in slippery places;
You cast them down to destruction.
Oh, how they are brought to desolation, as in a moment!
— Psalms 73:18-19

For whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.
— Galatians 6:7

Since it is a righteous thing with God to repay with tribulation those who trouble you.
— II Thessalonians 1:6

Vengeance is patient in her waiting;
And victory serves as a fierce rebuke to defeat.
— Cat Ellington (Made up by me for the sake of this review—because it's so proverbial)

(Laughs) ...

Where, oh where are Lennie Briscoe and Rey Curtis (or Ed Green), Anita Van Buren, Jack McCoy, and Abbie Carmichael when you need 'em?!

(More Laughs) ...

What an exceptional thriller this work of fiction is! M.C. Domovitch's Scar Tissue reads like a classic episode of Dick Wolf's Law & Order - particularly one of the jucier episodes from the late 1990s into the early 2000s era. Too good! Too good.

A few forgiveable grammatical errors aside, Scar Tissue is both a fascinating novel and a five-star worthy must-read.

Our lovable protagonist, Ciara Kelly, a famous fashion model, finds herself at the mercy of a cold-blooded - and I do mean cold-blooded - serial killer, who abducts the beautiful "human mannequin" after one of her photo shoots, transports her to a mysterious location in a wooded area, and then goes to work on her face and body with knives and scalpels, not with the intention of enhancing her already perfect person, no, but for the distinct purpose of scarring it with ugly marks that spell out derogatory words.

Miraculously, Ciara is able to escape her obsessed captor, running through the dark, rainy woods desperately praying for a way out of the maze of them, only to become the victim of a vehicular collision (after she unknowingly and deliriously runs out in the the middle of the road) that lands her in a coma for weeks, thus bringing a painful end to Ciara's lucrative career as a fashion runway catwalker and magazine covergirl - not to mention her love affair with the powerful and super rich Brent Morgan. Even Ciara's world-renowned agent, after beholding her client's scars during an awkward visit to the hospital, hadn't been severing their professional contract fast enough. Ciara Kelly's entire (once privileged) world was suddenly yanked out from underneath her.

Emerged from her comatose state with no memory, whatsoever, of her horrifying ordeal, she does, on the other hand, remember her only living relative, that is her older, and most adored sister Dierdre, with whom Ciara goes to live after her release from the hospital, at Dierdre's request. Soon after, Dierdre, excited that Ciara is beginning to regain her memory, mistakenly leaks the news, and in no time, Ciara once again finds herself on the run for her life from the same obsessed, cold-blooded murderer - who's a functioning demoniac - after he learns of her memory recovery.

So good is Scar Tissue, I finished it in less than 72 hours!

Set in New York, Seattle, and Portland, Scar Tissue, the first in a series dedicated to the same protagonist, Ciara Kelly, is an on-the-edge-of-your-seat, fast-paced, and exciting thrill ride, packed with nail biting suspense and hard to put down action.

In Domovitch's Scar Tissue, you get it all: New York's most affluent...and wicked, Agents of Satan—operating in the Catholic Church, New York's society page darlings, the kind and the generous, the clueless, the unsympathetic, the greedy, the conniving, the backstabbing, the lying, the deceiving, the whorish, the boorish, the Heaven-sent, and the Hellbound - all colliding in this, one of the best novels of the Thriller genre on the market today.

All I could think about (off and on) while reading this novel was the Gold Coast in my city of Chicago.

Expect to be up way late into the night with this hard to put down gem. I hated for it to end. That's just how much I truly loved it. And I'm looking forward to reading Seeing Evil, book 2 of The Mindsight Series.

Great work, M.C. Domovitch! Kudos to you. ( )
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
The Good: The story was intriguing and suspenseful. You felt for the main character and rooted for her through out the book.

The not so good: I am not a person that usually points out grammar errors or misspelled words or even when words are misplaced. But certain things through out this book made it to where I had to stop reading and go back and re-read a paragraph more than once. Most of what I found wrong a good editor should have picked up on. First page was a confusing mix of third person and first person. The book is obviously written in third person so that messed with the flow of reading. And speaking of flow – the book was very choppy switching between multiple characters without a good clear indication that is what was happening. I got what the author was going for and when its done correctly I love bouncing between the good guys and the bad guys. Another issue that is more of a pet peeve is I dont know if the author meant for it to be this way but its pretty obvious who the killer/kidnapper is from the start that's always a negative thing for me.

I'm torn on what to rate this. Rating on story and characters its a solid 4 but with its flow and choppy issues I give it a 3. ( )
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
The cover for Scar Tissue by M C Domovitch is calling to me, that eye drawing me into the book, making me have to know what’s inside. Add to that a paranormal romantic suspense thriller and I am sold down the river.

The opening lines had me hooked…

Ciara had been kidnapped, raped and tortured, but…somehow…escaped. Then, to top it all off, she was hit by a car and now has amnesia. What more can possibly happen to the poor girl? Well…let’s read on and find out, because I have a feeling her journey is far from over.

Scar Tissue is wrapped up in an interesting ending and I see so much potential for Ciara to go into a series, to develop and use her talents to solve crimes, so I am curious to see if M C Domovitch has more in store for her. I hope so!

I received a copy of Scar Tissue from M C Domovitch in return for an honest review.

To see my full review stop by fundinmental ( )
  sherry69 | Aug 18, 2016 |
I liked this twist on a book in one of my favorite genres, mystery/suspense. With the tragic events that Ciara experienced she could have just sat back and played the victim but she didn't. She was a major player in this book. With her new abilities, it made her more complex and intriguing. In addition, I felt that I got a better understanding and window into the killer's mind. The other characters in this book were good. Most did play the secondary role.

The storyline was nice in that there were not a lot of downtime, so I could kept reading for long periods of time. There was a romance that formed. As many know me, I am not always a fan of romance in my mystery/suspense novels, even through I do like to read romantic suspense novels. Yet with romantic suspense novels I know that there will be a guarantee of romance, yet when it comes to my mystery/suspense novels, I like them dark and sometimes the romance does not always keep a fine line with the story and can actually be more heavy handed and distracting. Yet with this one, it was mild and fit into the story without being distracting. Scar Tissue is a refreshing read. ( )
  Cherylk | Aug 6, 2016 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Monique Domovitch's book Scar Tissue was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,426,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible