The Defenseless by Carolyn Arnold

The Defenseless

by Carolyn Arnold

511,436,638 (4)None

FBI Agent Brandon Fisher and the team travelers to Colorado to stop a serial killer that targets men who were charged with animal abuse twenty years ago, but manage to go free.

This is the third book in the Brandon Fisher FBI series and the first I read. It was easy to get into the story and to get to know the FBI agents even though this was the third book, sure there is history that I only get a glimpse of, but that only makes me want to read the previous three books even more.

The case was an interesting one; this is the first serial killer book I read that the killer is after men who have abused animals. This is probably the first time I have in any way sympathized with a serial killer (well, to be honest, more the cause than the person I question). The sympathy for the killer is also shown in the book. Not many feel that sorry about the men that got killed, not even their significant others. Even the agents felt that this is a case that is tougher because the killer is standing up for those who have no voice.

The ending was a bit weak, it seems that the FBI and the police instead of trying to get it right the first time tried to arrest every damn suspect, realize that the person was not the one and go after the next one. I mean of course they are bound to find out the right killer in the end if they do so, but how about sitting down, go through the evidence a bit more, cover every corner and not bounce and accuse every suspect. Now I just read, and thought "no, that's too easy next one."

Other than that, the book was really great! Liked the characters, I liked the forbidden romance between Brandon and Paige and I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

3.5 stars ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |

Carolyn Arnold is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,531,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible