For Dead Men Only by Paula Paul

The Temple of the Ninth Daughter sits on a hill at the edge of Newton-upon-Sea. It is said that the Freemasons buried a treasure there a long time ago, but Dr. Alexandra Gladstone hasn't time for rumors like that. Not until local Freemasons starts to die. Could there be someone out there killing Freemasons to get to the treasure?

I read Medium Dead (book 3 in the series) the previous book in the series last year and found the story to be not that exciting to read, but a book that nevertheless was easy to read and entertaining for the moment. At least that what's my review says. And, I'm now very glad that I've started to write reviews so that I can go back and see what I thought. The thing is that I didn't go back and check before I requested this book. I got an email about it and thought alright I have read the previous book so I request this one. It was after that I saw that I had some problem with Medium Dead's story being too predictable.

I liked this story more than I liked the one in Medium Dead, sure it was a bit predictable, but I found reading the book was more enjoyable this time and I liked Alexandra Gladstone much more in this book, then I did it the previous. It's not a thick book, it takes just a couple of hours to read and the suspects are not that many. But, it's a nice cozy mystery book.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Nov 19, 2017 |
I realize intellectually that, even though I read like a fiend, I can’t read everything that’s written or every good author out there…not for lack of trying, of course. Still, when I stumble onto an award-winning author I’ve never heard of, I always do a bit of a double-take. Paula Paul falls into that category. She’s written ~28 novels of all kinds and has won multiple awards as both an author and a journalist, and I’m just now learning about her. Go figure.

Anyway, I knew I wanted to read For Dead Men Only by Paula Paul when I read the publisher’s brief description of it. It didn’t matter to me that it was Book #5 in this series – I decided I’d just have to figure it out because the concept was too intriguing to pass up. How could I resist a mystery that features a female physician turned reluctant sleuth and which involves Freemasons in a small 19th century English village? Pffft, you know me well enough by now to know I was not going to let that one slip past me – no way.

I might have benefited from reading Books #1-#4; however, I had absolutely no problem reading For Dead Men Only as a stand-alone read. Of course, now I want to read the first four novels in this series – luckily they’re available at bargain prices – Yay! If you like Victorian English cozy mysteries with lots of suspense, then I’m betting you’ll enjoy this one as much as I did – let’s see…read the rest of my review at http://popcornreads.com/?p=9041 ( )
  PopcornReads | Apr 26, 2016 |
For Tim and Kristen
Prologue
Soon Jeremy Fitzsimmons would return to the temple, but first he wanted to devour her with all of his senses.
Chapter 1
The official cause of the death of Saul Mayhew was a heart attack.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,447,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible