The View from the Cheap Seats: Selected…

The View from the Cheap Seats: Selected Nonfiction (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Neil Gaiman (Author)

Member:CaitrionaLaoise
Title:The View from the Cheap Seats: Selected Nonfiction
Authors:Neil Gaiman (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2016), 549 pages

The View from the Cheap Seats: Selected Nonfiction by Neil Gaiman (2016)

English (42)  Dutch (1)  All languages (43)
Neil Gaiman has such a gift for putting words together. I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to his first non-fiction book. The book was a compilation of his previous works. I was wanting deep insight into Mr. Gaiman's life and philosophy. It is still a beautifully written book. There are forewards to many titles and reviews and speeches . There were still beautiful moments and I learned a bit more about my hero. I had no I idea that he went to Jordan and spoke with refugees. Of course, he spoke beautiful of his friendships. I just wanted more. ( )
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
As a note, I listened to this as an audiobook. My commute to and from university was definitely improved by hearing Neil talk to me about art and life and interesting people. Not all of what I heard was new, as I have read and heard a fair amount of his essays and speeches before, and I knew some of the stories like that of the feral child in the library. But I didn't mind hearing them again. There was not necessarily a lot of different stuff being told in here or in many different ways, but then again, I suppose that's because Neil has been trying to bring across the same things, the things that matter the most to him, to many different people again and again.

There was definitely new stuff for me as well. I learned a lot about comics, about which I knew nearly nothing, for example. And I had to stifle my urge to squeal with delight when the topics of Lord Dunsany, and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell came up, seeing as I was on public transport.

I think, all in all, that if you are familiar with Neil Gaiman you can guess a lot of what will be said in some essays. But not all of it. Besides, what you won't hear are a lot of introductions to a lot of good authors, illustrators, directors, artists. Even if I don't want to check all of them out, I have certainly heard of some very interesting new stories for me to go and find. ( )
  CaptainBookamir | Mar 11, 2019 |
Wonderful, Especially the first and last quarters. ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Nov 24, 2018 |
A nonfiction collection (speeches, essays, and introductions) by a master of fiction. I spent a lot of time boggling at the sheer variety of books he's read and movies he's watched and people he's met. Sometimes I felt like this was not a book to be read straight through, since he does repeat some stories, particularly from his childhood, but all in all there's a decent variety. Certainly worth reading, if only to add some titles to your To-Read list. There's a healthy dose of inspiration to be had as well. ( )
  melydia | Oct 7, 2018 |
For Ash, who is new, for when he is grown.
These were some of the things your father loved and said and cared about and believed, a long time ago.
I fled, or at least, backed awkwardly away from journalism because I wanted the freedom to make things up. (Introduction)

An enthralling collection of nonfiction essays on a myriad of topics—from art and artists to dreams, myths, and memories—observed in #1 New York Times bestselling author Neil Gaiman’s probing, amusing, and distinctive style.

An inquisitive observer, thoughtful commentator, and assiduous craftsman, Neil Gaiman has long been celebrated for the sharp intellect and startling imagination that informs his bestselling fiction. Now, The View from the Cheap Seats brings together for the first time ever more than sixty pieces of his outstanding nonfiction. Analytical yet playful, erudite yet accessible, this cornucopia explores a broad range of interests and topics, including (but not limited to): authors past and present; music; storytelling; comics; bookshops; travel; fairy tales; America; inspiration; libraries; ghosts; and the title piece, at turns touching and self-deprecating, which recounts the author’s experiences at the 2010 Academy Awards in Hollywood.

Insightful, incisive, witty, and wise, The View from the Cheap Seats explores the issues and subjects that matter most to Neil Gaiman—offering a glimpse into the head and heart of one of the most acclaimed, beloved, and influential artists of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 11 Feb 2016 11:13:41 -0500)

"An enthralling collection of nonfiction essays on a myriad of topics--from art and artists to dreams, myths, and memories--observed in #1 New York Times bestselling author Neil Gaiman's probing, amusing, and distinctive style. An inquisitive observer, thoughtful commentator, and assiduous craftsman, Neil Gaiman has long been celebrated for the sharp intellect and startling imagination that informs his bestselling fiction. Now, The View from the Cheap Seats brings together for the first time ever more than sixty pieces of his outstanding nonfiction. Analytical yet playful, erudite yet accessible, this cornucopia explores a broad range of interests and topics, including (but not limited to): authors past and present; music; storytelling; comics; bookshops; travel; fairy tales; America; inspiration; libraries; ghosts; and the title piece, at turns touching and self-deprecating, which recounts the author's experiences at the 2010 Academy Awards in Hollywood. Insightful, incisive, witty, and wise, The View from the Cheap Seats explores the issues and subjects that matter most to Neil Gaiman--offering a glimpse into the head and heart of one of the most acclaimed, beloved, and influential artists of our time"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,838,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible