Metal Men Archives, Volume 1 by Robert…

Metal Men Archives, Volume 1

by Robert Kanigher

Series: DC Archives

I wasn't a big comic book guy as a kid, more into sports stuff. But one year I went to camp and another kid brought along his comics to read and the one that really caught my fancy was the Metal Men. The whole concept was so different from the standard super heroes of the time that it really entertained me. Over the years I had wanted to reread the comics and until this book came along that wasn't possible unless I wanted to hunt the individual books down. 50 years later I have to admit they aren't as well conceived as I had remembered, and reading them in book form, one after the other, the plot devices become stale. But the entire premise is still entertaining and I enjoyed it. ( )
  EdGoldstein | Sep 30, 2016 |
The Doc creates Metal Men and 1 Metal Woman. They become a team frequently sacrificing themselves for the good of man kind against various threats. The Doc has come up with a way to rebuild them after once trying to unsuccessfully replace them.

This book was way more educational then expected. The metal men would spout out facts about themselves (atomic weight, strength, characteristics etc) fairly frequently. It also seems to have originally been very consumer driven. There are many issues that ended requesting letters to DC if readers wanted more stories about the Metal Men. Tina and Doc have the weird relationship that seems prevalent in early comics w/ the women being madly in love and doing anything for the guy and the guy loving them but feeling it's inappropriate ergo being mean. (Although I was happy to see that she wanted to be a part of the team and treated like one of the guys.)

All in all I enjoyed. It has a nostalgic feel and loved the tin man. The only thing is that since they mimiced their metals traits there wasn't a ton of room for growth (what can I say I'm a character growth nut). ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140120774X, Hardcover)

Created in the laboratory of the brilliant Dr. Will Magnus, the Metal Men were a most unlikely group of heroes – a team of robots outfitted with a revolutionary device that (unintentionally) gave them human emotions.

Assembled in this hardcover volume are the earliest escapades of Doc Magnus and his robot friends: flirtatious Platinum, shy Tin, hot-headed Mercury, dull-witted Lead, powerful Iron and brilliant Gold, reprinted as they originally appeared in the 1960s.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:04 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible