Surveillance by Reece Hirsch

Surveillance

by Reece Hirsch

This is a well-written contemporary thriller. What sets it apart is the author's understanding of modern surveillance technologies. In major urban areas, it is difficult not to be under constant surveillance, even if no one is looking for you or cares what you are doing. This book is about what can happen if they care. ( )
  WaltNoise | Mar 24, 2016 |
I received this ARC in return for an honest review, and all I can say is I was blown away with the story that rings true of Big Brother is watching you! Chris Bruen, a former computer crimes prosecutor, decided to open his law practice, he had no clue how the first client would change his life for the worst! When Ian Ayres turned to be an ethical hacker, he had no idea that is legit hacking for one company that hired him to search for bugs would prove to be his downfall when he found data that wasn't supposed to be found and he searched for Chris to help him as people wanted him dead because he knew too much!

Chris Bruen didn't want to believe Ian at first as his story sounded like a best seller thriller novel, but once they returned to his office to see the place shot up and a man in a suit that shot at them he knew Ian's story was true, but how did they escape when all of San Francisco had cameras on every street that would track them wherever they went?? ( )
  Linda.Bass | Mar 16, 2016 |
I would like to thank Thomas & Mercer, as well as NetGalley, for a copy of this e-ARC to review. Though I received this ebook for free, that has no impact upon the honesty of my review.

Goodreads Teaser: "When former computer-crimes prosecutor Chris Bruen and retired hacktivist Zoey Doucet open their San Francisco law firm, it’s the best day of their professional lives. That is, until their first client walks through the door.

Ian Ayres is an “ethical hacker” who was hired by a company to test the security of its online systems. On the job, he uncovered some highly classified information: the existence of a top-secret government surveillance agency and its Skeleton Key, a program that can break any form of encryption. Now Ayres is on the run. And after government agents descend on Chris and Zoey’s office during their potential client’s visit—killing two employees—they, too, are forced to flee for their lives.

From California to Ecuador to Mexico, the trio must try to evade a hired assassin, a bloodthirsty drug cartel, and their own government. But how can they escape an adversary that can access every phone call, every email, every video feed?

'Surveillance' is critically acclaimed author Reece Hirsch’s third book in the Chris Bruen series."

Beginning with a bang, this book keeps you on the edge of your seat all the way to the end. There's no doubt that Hirsch has a true talent for creating mysterious thrillers that walk that fine line between fiction and reality. For the events in this story do just that, keeping you firmly engaged in Bruen's life or death race while at the same time planting that kernel of doubt about this story being fictional. Sure the actual story is made up, but isn't it more than possible that it's based upon real events? Starting with a mind-boggling question such as this, incorporating realistic and relatable characters, and placing them all within a world we're intimately familiar with, and Hirsch has crafted a thriller that lingers long after the last page has been turned and the book set down.

Chris Bruen, Zoey Doucet, Ian Ayers, and all the other players in this deadly game of cat and mouse have nuances and shading that make them come alive off the page. Within a few pages they all feel like they might be people you could easily know, or come into contact with during the course of your daily life. They have distinct personalities and quirks. Granted we only see those that come out under extreme duress, but even so they hint at many of the other traits each person possesses - humor, impatience, love, sneakiness, brutality, mellowness, etc. All of which combines to make them easy to relate to, or at least have strong feelings about or for. So of course that makes us root for those we consider to be the good guys, and dread encountering those we think must be the bad guys.

Setting all this in places we know, places we may have been, just brings the possibility of this as reality that much closer to home. A brilliant move, and one that makes it virtually impossible to get away from the underlying issues and ideas exposed by this book. Exceptionally well done, it has made me want to read many more works by Hirsch - as quickly as I can get my hands on them. Even if only to shake loose the ideas this book has implanted in my head! ( )
  Isisunit | Mar 9, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,462,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible