Damaged: A Novel (A Rosato & DiNunzio Novel)…

Damaged: A Novel (A Rosato & DiNunzio Novel)

by Lisa Scottoline

Mary is kind. That is kind of the problem. I wanted Mary to have some more backbone and be a bulldog, where people were fearful of her but also respected her. It was like that is why people don't recognize your name as a partner in the firm. Yet, Mary was great with Patrick. She advocated for him. He was such a sweet boy that it was hard to imagine that there would be any malice but there was that time with the gun that did have you wonder, if Patrick was guilty; maybe not intentionally.

Additionally, this story felt like it could have been shorted up about a hundred pages. There was this added suspense part to the story that kind of felt like a bit of a throw away like the story could not sustain just the case so this extra layer had to be added to the story. I would not be complaining if the intensity had been stronger. It barely registered a three on my radar. Overall, not impressed. Yet, I know this author can write, so hoping the next book is better. ( )
  Cherylk | Aug 4, 2017 |
Lisa Scottaline scores again. Bigtime. I don't know how she thinks of all these twists & turns but she does, and is a master at them. This is a dyslexic kid in 5th grade who cannot read, his grandfather is raising him. Gpa dies, kid is suspected of murder. Deals with placement of child, schooling, love & marriage, etc etc etc. Love it. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Jul 29, 2017 |
DNF 35%!

Damaged's blurb made the book out to be really interesting and thrilling. However, it turned out to be a silly story with a naive and irritating main character. Mary just doesn't seem to be a very competent lawyer and the whole wedding businesses is ridiculous and boring to read about. And, the characters felt like silly caricatures from her colleagues to her friends. I should have known something was amiss when I learned that the lawyer she would be facing in this book is named Machiavelli. Seriously, that's his real last name.

I'm sorry, I have a lot of books to read and this one just didn't rock my boat! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
I don't read thrillers often but I so enjoyed this legal thriller, Damaged: A Novel (A Rosato & DiNunzio Novel), by Lisa Scottoline. I read one other of her books so when this came up on Simply E I decided to try it and I liked it. There is a twist at the end which I won't share but makes it rewarding. I like the trial scenes. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Dec 24, 2016 |
Mary DiNunzio becomes the champion for a ten-year-old boy accused of attacking a teacher’s aide. The dyslexic child has fallen through the cracks and now the shy fifth grader is a target for bullies.

Emotionally attached to the young boy, Mary soon finds herself pitted against the fiendish Nick Machiavelli who is determined to win a settlement in the case. When she finds herself at odds with her associates, her fiancé, and social services, Mary feels alone in her struggle to save Patrick. Will her emotional involvement blind her to essential facts in the case? Can Mary succeed where others have let Patrick down? Can she find the objectivity she needs to succeed when those responsible for providing the support Patrick needs failed? And what price will she pay for her determined defense of the young boy?

Compelling characters and well-researched situations will pull readers into the story from the very first page. Readers will find themselves absorbed in the intricate, heartbreaking story that twists and turns, building tension as it careens toward its unexpected ending.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Sep 23, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,905,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible